chrisaw
chrisaw, DevOps Manager
Experience:  DevOps Manager with over 10 years experience in the DevOps and IT field.
58355812

I'm running Windows 7. I've recently installed a new

I'm running Windows 7. I've recently installed a new printer, Canon MG6850. I find that it prints OK from Word but when I try printing a photo from my Pictures file or from a Google Chrome file and elsewhere it doesn't recognise the printer and I receive the message 'The printer is offline. Check that the printer cable is connected and the printer power is on'. The MG6850 is ticked in the 'Devices and Printers window in the Control Panel.
Category: Computer
Expert:  chrisaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael, I'm more than happy to help with this and hopefully we can get to the bottom of why this doesn't work properly! You say the printer works from Microsoft Word but does not work properly when printing from other sources, correct? Are you certain that the printer is set as the default printer in these other places? When you print from Word do you see a different print dialog box popup once you choose the print option? It sounds like the device is either not responding properly to print requests (unlikely) or simply isn't being used as the printer you want to use when printing from these other sources. Google Chrome is a little odd since it has its own print subsystem rather than using the default Windows one so you likely want to avoid testing with that until we can get printing from other sources (such as the pictures folder you mentioned) working. We can always tackle any problems with Chrome after that. If you'd prefer I am more than happy to connect remotely to your computer and look at things that way but there is an additional charge for that or we can work on this through live chat - I'm happy either way and believe we can get this fixed. Thanks! Christopher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ChrisVery strange, I've just tried once more to print from both my Pictures folder and Google Chrome and both worked. This was after having tried printing from both applications unsuccessfully several times over the last 2 days. I'm not aware that I had changed anything.One other curious thing though; when I try to remove my old MP600 printer from 'Devices and Printers' in the Control Panel it won't allow me to but doesn't give an error message. The icon just stays there and rebooting makes no difference. This makes me wonder whether the old printer is still considered as the default printer by 1 or more other applications. This in itself doesn't matter now that printing seems to be working but there are other applications which I haven' tried printing from yet so if the problem re-occurs I'll get back to you.
Many thanks for your assistance.
***** *****
Expert:  chrisaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike, Glad to hear it's working - that does seem very strange! As for the old printer - you may not be able to delete this if you still have items in the queue for it. In order to rectify that - you can double click the printer in Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Printers, then empty the print queue by selecting any items there and hitting the delete key on your keyboard (not backspace.) Alternatively - if that does not work - try right clicking on the printer you want to remove and click "Run as administrator", then click "Delete" - that should get rid of it. :) If this does resolve your problem I would greatly appreciate if you could take a moment to rate my answer! :) Thanks! Christopher