Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a Sony Viao and after upgrading to windows 10 I have

Customer Question

I have a Sony Viao and after upgrading to windows 10 I have lost control of my screen resolution. It has become nearly impossible to read the screen when in a room with any natural light.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeScreen resolution refers to the size and sharpness of the picture. Do you actually mean the screen has become very dark? So the brightness is the issue?And which model Viao is this?Thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The screen has become very dark and the when I change the brightness level the screen does not respond
Not sure what model it is but it is running the following Processor - Intel Core i5 CPU M430 @ 2.27GHz
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, check on the underside of the Vaio and you should then see the model there.I need it to check for an updated driver for you I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you. Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse. I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps. Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong. If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me. Thanks, Richard
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think I would like to just do questions first so if it does happen again I will know how to resolve it. The model is PGC-51211L
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
No problem, though there is no PGC, there is a PCG though, but 512 is also not correct, can you carefully check the model again please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry it is a PCG but the numbers are correct - 51211L
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ThanksCan you go to my link below please and expand Videohttps://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPCS111FM&LOC=3#/downloadTabThen download and installUPDATE Intel® HD Graphics UpdateOnce installed, restart and tell me please if you can now control the brightness.Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok will do. If I restart the computer will it re-start the chat again so I can confirm if it works?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
yes, you just return to this web page and send a message and we can then resume
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Richard - that didn't work
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Where you able to download the driver? Did it complete the installation?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes. It completed and forced the restart
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ThanksIn windows, click on the start bar, type in brightness, then click on Display Settings.Is the brightness slider to the very right there?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, Open Vaio Control CenterClick into Display settingsClick into Automatic Brightness SettingsUncheck the box next to Adjust Brightness Automatically.Hit Apply.Tell me if this resolves it please
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No still no change
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ThanksCan you press the windows key + RType inregeditPress enterNavigate to (and note this carefully as it is critical you do this correctlyHKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000 (or 0001)set the value to 0x0000fb20 (64288). Once done, close it then press the windows key + X and click on Device managerRight click Display Adapter and select Disable then right click and disable.Does this allow you to control the brightness?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Does the value need to be set to show 0x0000fb20 (64288). Or just 0x0000fb20
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
0x0000fb20 which you see is the decimal 64288
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That has just made it a lot darker and again I could not control the brightness.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you think it is worth trying via remote assistance?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, nowIn windows, click on the start bar, type in brightness, then click onDisplay Settings.Can you slide it to the right?It is up to you on remote assistance, I can then do everything myself else we continue here
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It didn't work but after trying I have had to enable the display adapter again because I really couldn't see at all any more.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Can you go to www.teamviewer.com Click on Download in the middle of the page Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect Thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
User ID - 771 596 977
Password ***** cwa167
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Please tell me the results after the restart
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi I restarted and the screen was very bright but no control over adjusting it. Then restarted again and it has gone back to being dark with no control over brightness
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, the issue is compatibility with windows 10, the drivers are only for windows 7, and in some models there are tricks to get it to work,but in your case these are not applying.We have two options, we either revert to windows 7 or reinstall the computer with windows 10.We really need to aim for the first option as if the drivers do not work with a fresh install of windows 10, then you would not be able to get it to function without a windows 7 disk.How long ago did you do the windows 10 upgrade?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
about 3 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, it is too late then to revert back as it is only 30 daysCan you back up all your data off the computer, as this will remove it, programs you will need to install again.Let me know when you have please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just programs?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
sorry? I do not understand the last message you sent
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Its all backed up
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, now run Teamviewer again and give me the ID and Password ***** I can initiate the reinstall
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Whats next?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Ok, I think you missed my last message, no problem I will repeatRun Teamviewer again and give me the ID and Password ***** I can initiate the reinstall
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
771 596 977
wfu247
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
can you connect the power cable please?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Richard the laptop os back up and running but I still cannot control the brightness
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Everything is installed as new correct? Like a new computer?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, we will see if the original factory image has been replaced.Hold ALT and with it held, power on the Sony and keep tapping F10 until you get to a menu.Then from there choose to do a Factory Reset.Tell me if when this has completed, you get windows 7 returned please
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok do I need to shut it down and then take these steps?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
yes please
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've tried this 5 times now and I am never taken to a menu
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, it removed the windows 7 image when you upgraded to windows 10.Download the video adapter again via the instructions I gave (repeated below)Can you go to my link below please and expand Videohttps://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPCS111FM&LOC=3#/downloadTabThen download and installUPDATE Intel® HD Graphics UpdateOnce installed, restart and tell me please if you can now control the brightness.Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no still not able to
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, your forced then to install windows 7 from a disk as the windows 10 upgrade removed it and the Laptop is not compatible with it.You would need to try to borrow a disk (as you are licenced) but if you cannot get one, you need to purchase one and can use my link below for this.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-Version/dp/B002DUCMT2
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It would nearly be cheaper to buy a new laptop. I know you've tried but I'm not happy with the results here. There must be another solution - why would sony allow a free upgrade if it can only damage the computer?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
because it was not properly tested by Sony and it is an old Laptop, so microsoft did no testing of themselves.The installation is a clean installation and the drivers are the latest version installed now.This is why its better to try to borrow the windows 7 disk