Dan
Dan, Network Administrator
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

I connect a gigabyte nvidia geforce gtx 960 graphics into

Customer Question

I connect a gigabyte nvidia geforce gtx 960 graphics into the motherboard (Foxconn), use a hdmi to vga cable yet still the monitor says no signal. I have uninstalled previous graphic card drivers and disabled onboard integrated graphics. When the new graphics card is not in, there is a signal. i am running windows 10.
Please advise
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. This card requires more power than a standard video card. There may be an additional power plug that needs to connect directly to the main power supply, or your power supply isn't big enough to handle the load. Depending on what you have currently running in the computer, check to make sure your main power supply is no less that 350 watts. That is the minimum and probably should be more. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My power supply is 405w. There is no additional connection, just the one.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
If there is a separate power cable coming from the card and you have multiple available connectors coming from the power supply, try a different plug. You can also try a different slot on the motherboard as well, even swapping other cards if necessary to see if you can get a video signal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried connecting a different power cable, but problem persists. There are no other available slots on the motherboard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy to send pictures of console if helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I will not be able to continue until 9pm tonight as i am going out now.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Get back to me when you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I am ready to try again. Would you like pictures of inside the console?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
If you could that would be helpful and the card as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 2 more pics which are greater than 5mb. How should I send them to you?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I think these will do. Let me look then over.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
once you install the card, you then plug in the six pin power adapter from the power supply right to the cards port, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I plug the 16pin side in first. Then the 6 pin power supply (yellow/black cable) directly into the other side of the card
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I don't see a sixteen pin plug?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The side which gets directly connected into the motherboard.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You mean where you plug the board into the PCI slot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The old card used to be in that slot
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The connector you are plugging in, does that come right off the power supply?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The connector you are holding that is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says PCI-E on it. There is another one which looks the same that does not go to power supply.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
There is one photo with two connectors in it, both with three yellow and three black wires. Are you using either of those to connect to the board?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried both
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Short of trying the card in a different computer, or trying a different monitor, you might want to think about exchanging it? I can see no reason it shouldn't work in your computer.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
What is the plug you are holding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From the power supply
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
How many wires to it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean yellow and black ones?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, never mind then. The way you are holding it in the photo, it looks like there are only two wires to it.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any way of testing the card with a different monitor or computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Monitor yes, but pc no
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Okay then, give that a try just to see if it will detect the signal and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New screen does not make a difference. I have noticed, as soon as the card is slotted into the motherboard, even without any power into the graphics card and the vga is into the motherboard (not graphics card) there is no signal at all.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I presume no difference when you plug in power to the card either?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I was trying to remember if you disabled the on board video on the motherboard? If not, try that. If that does not work, then I would return the card for an exchange.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ordered a replacement. Should be here on Friday, will be in touch. Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Good luck!