Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I bought an Acer Aspire 15 laptop two months ago through

I bought an Acer Aspire 15 laptop two months ago through Amazon. I left it idle for a week as I was in hospital. First day home, I switched it on, screen message said AVG update required, now/remind me later. I tapped "now", the circle of lights started, then the screen went black. I thought the battery had no power so I plugged into the mains, still black screen. The only sign of life are the two blue lights on the left front edge of the laptop. I know very little about laptops/computers but I need one to produce documents and photo albums. What can I do? This machine cost me £400 and I'm a bit miffed.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Please do the following:

1. Unplug the laptop from the mains
  2. If the battery is removable, please remove it
  3. With the laptop unplugged from the power source, and the battery removed, please press and hold the power button for 60 seconds then release it
  4. Still DO NOT insert the battery
  5. Plug the power adapter to the main, then plug the other end to the laptop
  6. Turn ON the laptop without the battery, just directly connected to the mains
  7. See if it boots this time

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank-you Jess,
Unfortunately I have no idea where the battery is nor how to remove it.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Please check the hinge part of the laptop. Usually, the battery is located there. Please check this video procedure and see if you can remove the battery like the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_XeJ9bGzYA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The underside of my Acer is nothing like the video. There is no slot to insert a pen and slide the switch for removal. And there is no information about a battery on the printed note bottom right of the keyboard. I'm afraid this has me beaten.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Brian,

Thank you for writing back. If there is no way to remove the battery of your laptop, then I believe you have a laptop model with a "fixed" battery. Newer laptops have fixed batteries nowadays.

Please do the following instead:

===

1. Unplug the laptop from the mains
  2. With the laptop unplugged from the power source, please press and hold the power button for 60 seconds then release it
  3. Plug the power adapter to the main, then plug the other end to the laptop
  4. Turn ON the laptop
  5. See if it boots this time

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BINGO!! So simple an answer--worked perfectly.
I am most grateful.
Thank-you very much.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for writing back and I am glad it worked!

I hope I was able to help.
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess