Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

One of our PCs is not starting up and saying 'keyboard error

Hello, one of our PCs is not starting up and saying 'keyboard error drive 0:serial ATA, sata-0 drive 4: serial ata, sata-4 drive 5: serial ata, sata-5' and on pressing F1 it says 'no boot device available'. Is there something we can do by going into F2 and g the set up utility? It's running on XP.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me the make and model of the computer please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dell Optiplex 745
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can you please remove the power cable from the computer and hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then connect the power cable and tell me if it now starts correctly please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry - this didn't make a difference
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Press F2 to get into the setup utlity, then when there press F9 and say yes to reset the defaults then save this and tell me if it now starts please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't access it via F9 but can access maintenance to 'load defaults' and reset factory settings - is this correct?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes this is correct, it seems to not register the F9 key but this is the same result

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reset factory settings but still have the same no boot result.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It is the internal sata port or the hard drive that has faulted. This now confirms it. Normally based on what you say it is referring to the sata port that the hard drive connects to

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the computer to have a disgnostics performed and the faulting component replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks.