Dan
Dan, Network Administrator
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

I went into my Hotmail saved emails file and it was empty.

I went into my Hotmail saved emails file and it was empty. It should have numerous emails in it. Can I get them back?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. Do you use an email program to access your hotmail account, or do you just access it through your browser?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
through the browser
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Do you use this account regularly or has it been awhile?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
most days
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant afford to pay any more at present are you able to help me with this problem?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Don't worry about the popups, they are automated so you can just disregard them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh ok
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

When you checked the deleted folder, did you possibly click on the recover deleted items link?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried but nothing happened. Not sure if it was just slow. some of my saved emails go back upto 4 or 5 years
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

That should bring back most of the recent email. I have tried that as well on my account and see it is very slow. Let me research this a little more for you and I will let you know what I find.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Make sure you have your popup blocker turned off. Right click on an open area of the screen and select refresh. Next, go to the the Deleted Items folder and right click on it and select Recover deleted items. A new window should open with the recoverable items that have been deleted.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I will be back in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have managed to recover the items but am not sure how to restore them. I clicked on some of the older ones and pressed recover. A message came up saying they would be restored to my inbox. How long will that take? They have not appeared
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I clicked on recover deleted items and the missing items are there now. I then clicked on recover (at the top of the page) but nothing seems to be happening
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Once you recover the items you want, they should be back in the original folder they were deleted from. Try clicking on one or two just to see where they go when you recover them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
think I've got them back now thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I put the recovered emails back into my saved email folder. Today when I went to look at them again they had all been deleted again. I've just recovered them again and will leave them in my inbox overnight to see if they are still there tomorrow. Do you think I've got a virus? Incidently a few emails in other folders have totally disappeared.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

As long as your not saving them locally or storing them on your computer, then doubtful. How do you normally read your emails, from your computer or smart phone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mostly from my computer. I have stored the emails in this folder for years with no problems why should they be deleted now?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Are you using an email client like Thunderbird or Outlook to access your account or do you go directly to hotmail.com?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
usually I click on the Free Hotmail tab on my mozilla browser but sometimes I go to Hotmail sign in from the search engine list using the Microsoft Edge browser.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Have you installed or updated any software recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I haven't but my son has being using my lap top a lot lately. He's out at present so I can't ask but what kind of thing do you mean? related to Hotmail or something else?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Go to your hotmail account then click on the little gear icon in the upper right corner and go to options. Let me know when there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i'm there
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Under Mail on the left hand side, click on Inbox and sweep rules and check to see if anything has been set to automatically clean your inbox.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no there are a couple of specific instructions for amazon and shop Zilla otherwise nothing
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The other thing to check is to see how much storage you are taking up. The hotmail free account has a 5GB capacity. If you are hitting that limit, that could be causing issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I check that?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Disregard that for now. What is your email address and does it actually take you to the hotmail or the Windows Live home page?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my email is @hotmail.co.uk and it is on outlook.live.com/owa
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, go back to your options, mail and check under the automatic processing for message options. Make sure the box is not checked next to empty deleted items folder when I sign out, then let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the box is not checked. Anyway it's not the deleted items folder that is being deleted its the saved emails folder
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay let's try this from another angle. Highlight all of the emails you want to keep. To easily do this, place a check in the box of the first email on the list then select the check box that appears above that. Let me know when you have gotten that far.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't seem to do that and there are so many it will take ages.I have to go now so can I come back to you tomorrow? For how long can I continue this conversation?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, get back to me when you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I only seem to be able to check about 5 or 6 emails at a time so can we try with the first few? Also i notice a sweep icon on the task bar. What would happen if this was accidentally hit (its next to the Move to icon)?.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You should be able check on more that 5 or 6? The Sweep option, if clicked on will popup with a sub-menu of choices, so unless you select something from that, it won't do anything. What you want to do is create a seperate archive independent of your saved email folder. That should keep them intact for the future.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so how do I do that?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Highlight any items you want to archive. When you do that, an Archive button will appear on the taskbar at the top of the page. Click that and it will create an Archive folder under the main Folders menu in the left pane. There you can archive anything else you want to keep.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dan I have done that successfully. I have manged to recover most of the lost emails now and think I have sorted things out ok. I just wish I knew what had happened and why the emails were deleted. I have lost some all together, but fortunately they were not too important. Anyway thanks for your support it was very usesful.