Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I'm using an iPhone 4S, but volume of all aural

I'm using an iPhone 4S, but volume of all aural notifications (phone, SMS etc.) are almost inaudible.
Notifications are selected and green.
I've tried changing +/- on the volume controls on side of the phone.
What am I not doing?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

`Hi there and welcome

Can you hold the home and power buttons on the iphone for about 10 seconds until you see the Apple Logo then release.

Let the iPhone restart and tell me if it now functions correctly please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I tried that, but no change.

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Can you please go to Settings, general, reset, reset all settings.

Once done tell me if you still have the issue please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately still the same problem (and quite a lot of work ahead to reset my settings on my apps which have all been deleted.....)

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

I understand but its unavoidable sorry.

But we will have to do a full reset of the phone, which will remove all data and return it to new.

So before doing this, please ensure all your personal data is backed up.

Then go to Settings, General, Reset, Erase all data and settings.

Let this complete, setup the phone again and tell me please if the notifications now work.

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No way....it's been frustrating losing my settings.

I've been playing around with it, and Settings / Sounds / Ringer and Alerts adjusts the ringer and alerts using the volume slider.

Problem now solved.

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

You said at the start the notifications were all on, so this would not have been the case.

If the problem was solved its due to a reset of the settings that we did.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Notifications were all on, but Settings / Sounds / Ringer & Alerts simply had to have the slider volume increased. I can't see that resetting settings would have changed this.

I'll start another thread about the lost Settings, but, just in case there's a simple answer, is there a simple way of restoring my original screen saver from one of the 4,500 images stored on the iPhone?

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, yet I saw you changed the volume of this in your initial message, so a bit confused...

Resetting the settings returns it to default.

What exact screen saver did you have?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes, attempted to change the volume using the +/- buttons on the side of the iPhone (see OP).

I can see settings are returned to default, but that is now the problem. Is there no way of changing back to the previous set of settings?

Screen saver was just one of my 4,500 images.....

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

No, you cannot go back on this, as they are not (nor can be) backed up.

Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry