Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer specialist
62741268

Have lost the dialling tone from my phone

have lost the dialling tone from my phone
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** certified professional with over 10 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.

I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

You can try fixing many problems yourself, with a few simple checks, some of the most common phone problems are shown below:

• Do you have a cordless phone? Check that it’s fully charged.
  • Check all your phones to make sure they are on the hook and that all the phone cords are plugged in and secure.
  • Is the problem with only one phone? Then it’s likely to be a fault with the phone.
  • Test your phone equipment

• Unplug all phones and equipment from all telephone sockets including:
    • PC's
    • Faxes
    • Modems
    • Satellite TV digiboxes
    • Micro-filters
    • ADSL modem or router

Make sure there is nothing left plugged in.

If you have an old style phone that can't be unplugged then click on the link below to CHAT>
  • CLICK HERE<<
  • Plug a working phone (not cordless) into the main phone socket (this is usually where the phone line enters your premises). See if you can make calls from it. If you can make calls, the fault is likely to be with one of your pieces of equipment.
  • Plug in your pieces of equipment one by one. Make a test call each time you plug in a piece of equipment. This will enable you to identify which item is causing the problem. To fix it, read the manual or get in touch with your supplier.

Back to top

• Test the wiring

If you still can’t make a call from the main socket, give the wiring a quick check.

• If your main socket looks like the picture below, unscrew the 2 small screws and slide out the bottom half of the face plate. You'll see a test socket on the right-hand side.

• Plug the phone into the test socket . Make a call. See if the line rings once and stops, or doesn't ring at all.

• CLICK HERE TO CHAT WITH SUPPORT<<<

If you can dial out at the test socket, the fault is likely to be with your internal wiring. You could fix this yourself, or contact the company that maintains your phones, although they will charge for doing this if you're not covered by a warranty.

If you can’t dial out at the test socket, the fault is likely to be with the line and you'll need to report it Online fault reporting

• Please take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top, then click submit.

Thank you very much!