Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

Talktalk told me yesterday I have an internal line fault.

Customer Question

Talktalk told me yesterday I have an internal line fault. Who fixes the problem? Jack Sile 01449 675190. 21 Bures close, stowmarket IP14 2PL
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jack, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Can you please describe to me what happens to your router when you mentioned it is not working? Is it not turning ON? Or is it turning ON but your devices cannot connect to the internet?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The router turns on but the phone line and one other do not light up. I am currently using a mobile unit to connect. Talk talk told me to uncover my main junction box into the house and plug the main line into the new right socket. Which I did but even the phone is restored the router is not. Talk talk said it was an internal wiring problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reply now by email please. ***@******.***. Going off line and will come back on my iPAD
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry about the persisting issues.

Now, what is the current setup of your router that you said "not working"? You mentioned that the phone is restored but the router is not working, How is it NOT working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ONLY two of the 4 lights are working. One of the non working lights is the phone line. Only two from the left looking at it are working.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

If you are referring to the router LEDs, then please check if the cables are plugged correctly from both ends -- on the router slots and on the devices' slots.

If your phone is a conventional phone, then it should be plugged into the correct phone slot which is smaller compared to the LAN slots for computers and laptops.

Also, if you can take a picture of your router with the cabled plugged in and with the lights not lit, please do so and attach them in your reply using the paper clip icon.

Since this is already an issue with the router, a hardware issue, I suggest that you contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) for further diagnostics and possible repairs of their unit (they must have provided the router). It is not enough for them to tell you that it is already a wiring problem, they need to check their router as well. Even though we can continue tinkering the router and the cables but if you are not comfortable working with these things, I highly recommend contacting your ISP and requesting them to fix your internet and phone connectivity for you. Not doing so can be a ground for you to terminate your subscription from their service due to non-service.

Please let me know your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess