Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have a Prestigio 4.1.2. tablet with an updated gmail

I have a Prestigio 4.1.2. tablet with an updated gmail address replacing an old btconnect address which I recently cancelled, but the incoming and ougoing boxes for email settings will not accept my new password. The old password ***** th btconnect email address keeps reappearing in both boxes.( I can tell it is from the number of characters I used). Then I get an 'incorrect' message.I recently installed 2 step verification which requested a new Application specific password ***** 16 characters, so I tried that and it still didn' work!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Are you able to access your Gmail address in a web browser in the tablet or in a computer? If yes, please access the account, check if ALL your emails are intact there.

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been getting gmails recently, but when I log on a message always appears at the bottom right of the screen saying I have a gmail connection problem?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I see that you requested for a Secure Remote Assistance. Are you in a computer right now where we can do the remote access session?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using my Prestigio tablet now to contact you.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that confirmation.

I accepted the request for remote access and now please follow these steps to join me in the remote session.

These steps are intended for users with Windows computers.

1. Please click on this link:
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=c4dd695f-4249-4827-8c06-f7c79575586e

2. In that page, please click on the green I Agree button
3. Then download the remote tool when prompted.
4. Run the downloaded remote tool to join me in the remote session. I will be waiting for you there.

Thank you. If you are stuck in any of the steps, please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

How is it going? Were you able to follow the procedures I gave you? I am still here to assist you further if you are stuck in any of the steps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've made some mistakes. I clicked away the black downloading boxes and didn't wait for your contact. I'm not sure what to do now?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

You can always redo the process. The goal is, you download the remote tool, and after downloading, double click on it to run it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have your last answer on our list of questions and answers but I can'see how to redo the process?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let me send you the procedures then. Please find the procedures below:

1. Please click on this link:

Best regards,
Jess

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

How is it going? The remote session has been running for a while already so I need to close it now. Please reply to me any time when you are ready to resume with the remote session so that I can send you the new remote session link.

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Jess, I tapped on the download but a message at the bottom of the screen said 'can't open file'.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, by the way, is that tablet running with Windows 10?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had windows on my old computer but I don't think this Android tablet is windows. All I know is we've got bt/wifi. I've got a 'quick guide' booklet with Technical Specifications, if that's any use and I believe, here I'm quoting, that 'Android are known as OPEN-SOURCE operating systems.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information.

If the problem tablet is not running on Windows but of Android, I cannot remotely access that tablet.

Do you have another computer that you can use there so that I will remotely connect to it instead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I'm sorry, I don't own or have access to another computer at the present time. I did state that my tablet is an Android at the beginning. Will you still be able to help me?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I am still here to help you.

Now, I need you to access your Gmail account using the web browser of your tablet, instead of the Mail app that you have been using. Then tell me if you are able to access your Gmail using the browser.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

By the way, in order to access your Gmail in a browser, you need to open your web browser, then go to http://gmail.com. Tap the Sign In link at the top right corner of the page, then sign in using your Gmail address and your password.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went via chrome, keyed in the web address, pressed the menu three dot icon, and my gmails came up straight away without first signing in my gmail address and password. Should that have happened.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

That means that the gmail account session was remembered by Chrome and that is OK. But now, please check your Gmail in Chrome and see if ALL of your emails there are intact.

After confirming that they are intact, you can then delete or remove the Gmail account in the Mail app, and then Add it again. All emails will then sync.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Re: your last answer, yes I've checked and my gmails are intact in chrome, but I don't know how to carry out your instruction to delete and reinstate in your second paragraph. Amongst my apps on the screen there are three: chrome, gmail and email and I'm confused between the three because they seem to overlap and repeat each other. Would you please phone my mobile and talk me through it?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry but I do not provide phone support. I will just give you detailed procedures in carrying out the tasks.

Now, you mentioned 3 apps. Chrome, Gmail and Email. Chrome is a web browser, it can access any website. Gmail is an email program designed for Gmail accounts. Lastly, Email is a "generic" email app that accepts any email account, NOT just Gmail.

Now, please tell me, which among Gmail and Email apps (Chrome not included) are you using most of the times and that is giving you the problem you described in your original question?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

If you are using the Email app, please follow these steps to remove your Gmail account:

1. Tap the Main Apps Menu then tap Settings then tap ACCOUNTS. If Gmail is one of the options there, tap Gmail. If Gmail is not an option, tap Corporate.
2. In the list of email accounts, select the Gmail account
3. Next screen should say 'Sync' in the upper left of the header navigation bar. Choose the far right '3 dots' drop down menu
4. Choose "Remove account"

Depending on the version of Android you are using, the procedures may vary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I love gmail and want keep it, but the problem is with email which I also definately want to keep because of having contact with my other non-gmail address contacts.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry for the confusion. You will NOT be removing the Gmail and the Email apps. You will only remove the problem Gmail account in the apps, and then ADD it back again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The situation is worse now. I deleted my gmail account from my email account and now all the email has disappeared as well. I've tried to retrieve the email but when I access the incoming server box in the email settings and enter my gmail address with it's password, I get 'couldn't finish' messages that say 'Username or password ***** Edit details and another message, 'couldn't open connection to server. What now? I'm wondering, is it is possible to have more than one password ***** the same mail address? Although I tried a different password ***** it still didn't work.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Regarding more than one password, NO, that is not possible unless you enabled 2-step verification.

I asked you to login to your Gmail in a web browser, you mentioned you did it in Chrome, and you confirmed that all of your emails are intact there. Correct?

Then, I also asked you to delete the email account in your email program which you did. After deleting the account, did you try to ADD the Gmail account back, but the password ***** ***** accepted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did do step 2 verification and got a list of 10 additional security numbers. All my gmails are intact in the gmail app. but there are no mails at all in the email app. no gmails which I deleted and no emails now. I've been trying without any success to get my email account (minus gmails!) back into the email app. but as I explained in my last message my atttempts are rejected. Originally my email and gmail were separate and unfortunately I introduced my gmail into my email and also got involved with this step 2 verification. Now I wish I'd just left it as it was because now all my emails have gone. And really I need to get them back free as I cannot afford to pay
any more and I'm sorry we've spent all day on and off on this!*&
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry about the trouble but yes, we can continue on this without extra fee already until this is resolved. You have create 10 security keys in your Gmail using Chrome. Now, have you tried to enter a particular security key in the EMAIL app in your Gmail account to test if it accepts it?

There is really a lot of trouble when using 2 step verification since it can really confuse users. Please tell me if you have tried entering the security code INSTEAD of the password ***** setting up the Gmail account in the EMAIL app.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Yes, I did, after entering my gmail address into the email inbox, I entered the first 8 digit number from the list of ten verification codes but still got the same 'couldn't finish' error message and also an http:// web help address which turned out to be unproductive/obsolete. Originally I only had email with a bt mail address with it's own password. It was this password ***** email would not delete and replace with my new gmail password ***** I also kept getting a gmail connection error messages every time I opened my tablet.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

You mentioned that when you open Chrome, and access Gmail, the password ***** ***** there and you just accessed Gmail without entering any password.

Can you confirm that you still know or remember the correct password ***** your Gmail?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Here are the few things that you can try:

1. If you have access of other devices or gadgets, you can try to use a browser there, then login to your Gmail account. This is to test if the password ***** are trying to enter is working or not.
  2. You can try to DISABLE or TURN OFF the 2-Step verification of your Gmail account in the web browser, then test entering the password *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My old password, ( I guessed it was my old password ***** it was the same number of 'hide'black dots that kept reappearing no matter how many times I tried to get email to accept my new much longer replacement password ***** goes with my newer gmail address) stubbornly stayed. That's what I can't understand. Email accepted my gmail replacement address ok, so why not it's matching password? And now I am really worried about getting my emails back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know all my passwords exactly in detail, and I'm always very careful when I key them in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 2-Step Verification was the cause of the problem. I turned it off via browser as you last suggested. Only then did google email accept my current gmail address and password, and I've been downloading/retrieving the last 2 years emails. I will be more cautious in future about suggested courses of action to 'improve things'. Google should do something about this. What a day! Thank you Jess M.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lastly Jess, although you did your best to help me with question and answer typed messages, it was unfortunate that the Secure Remote Assistance access/connect offer wasn't available to me because, as you said, of my tablet being Android? And neither you said were you able to phone me, and I wondered why not? as that's why I gave my phone number.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back and I am glad that your issues were resolved after turning OFF the 2-step verification. Indeed, this security feature of Gmail caused more trouble than help in most users. The main reason for this is because, there are several email clients that does not conform with Gmail or Google's way of doing things.

In essence, when 2 step verification is ON, when you add the gmail account in an email program or app, it should first REQUIRE the main password. After entering the password, another prompt should show up where you can enter the security keys.

However, in most email apps or programs, the second prompt no longer happens. Or if it does, the user does not know the difference because those email apps error message are misleading. That is, you entered the password ***** But then it prompts for another password ***** the message of the prompt is not saying that the password ***** ***** and now enter the security code. So the user ends up entering the MAIN password ***** it was rejected.

It is always the SECOND prompt that asks for the security code but the massage in the prompt is vague and misleading. So that is where the problem starts.

So turning the feature OFF is the better solution especially for portable users using the Email app. Just make sure that your password ***** ***** (longer password, a combination of CAPS and small letters, and numbers and punctuation marks) to ensure that your Gmail is safe even though 2 step verification is OFF.

Now, regarding phone call, I do not provide phone support since I am not from your country, I am from Manila and calls are expensive :(

In the Additional Contact Information box where you entered your phone number, you can also enter there your email address so that I can send you an email message should you lose your way around our chat page.

Thank you for your patience and I am happy to be of help.

If you need assistance in the future, just let me know by posting another question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess