Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer specialist
62741268

I have a second hand iPad which initially I was able to

I have a second hand iPad which initially I was able to access (icons appeared on the home screen). However since then I have been unable to access due to activation lock. thinking that the original owner had not erased all his ID/passwords I returned the pad to him. He was unable to access the pad which suggested I had created the issue myself, having entered different email addresses and passwords. I have spoke to Apple who are unable to help because I cannot prove ownership. I have followed the online guidance without success. The activation prompt indicates that my user ID ends in .com but my Hotmail account ends in .co.uk my google account ends in .com but a message on the activation screen that this is not a recognised apple login - STUCK
Regards,
Ade.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

Try this please,

• Connect the USB cable to the iPad, but leave the other end of the cable disconnected from your computer's USB port.
  • press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time.
  • When the device turns off, release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons.
  • While pressing and holding the Home button, connect the USB cable to the computer. The device should turn on.
  • Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen.
  • When this screen appears you can release the Home button:
  • Then use iTunes to restore the iPad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already tried this procedure several times without success. I get as far as the iTunes icon appearing on the pad with the usb connection illuminated. when I go back to the itunes screen on the computer it suggested "restore". Again I have attempted this procedure several times. this is as far as I can get. I cannot get the right combination of ID or password ***** activate the iPad

okay the only option will be to find the correct id and turn off the findmyipad(iCloud lock) feature from iCloud.

What is the email address that you may have used when you first set it up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a second hand iPad which initially I was able to access (icons appeared on the home screen). However since then I have been unable to access due to activation lock. thinking that the original owner had not erased all his ID/passwords I returned the pad to him. He was unable to access the pad which suggested I had created the issue myself, having entered different email addresses and passwords. I have spoke to Apple who are unable to help because I cannot prove ownership. I have followed the online guidance without success. The activation prompt indicates that my user ID ends in .com but my Hotmail account ends in .co.uk my google account ends in .com but a message on the activation screen that this is not a recognised apple login - STUCKRegards,Ade.I have 2 email addresses -***@******.*** and***@******.***I have access to iCloud on my computer but the google account but the pad does not recognise it. The message on the pad reads "this iPad is currently linked to an appleID (g.....@h......com.sign in with the Apple ID that was used to set up this iPad". my Hotmail account has always been .co.uk not .com

okay, do you have a cell number that ends in 89?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I don't know what a cell number is. Is this a US term?

yes. mobile phone number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0790(###) ###-####

okay, what is the password ***** you used for the ***@******.*** apple id?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can give you the google details which areID -***@******.***Password ***** ivivUfec5540AGThe above allows me to login to my Apple account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This also gives me access to iCloud which may help ?.

Do you know the apple id password ***** the griffeyboy uk apple id?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its -***@******.***Password ***** ***** griff5540AGbruce

okay, the id on the iPad must be from the previous owner. There is no iPad connected to those id's.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent the pad back to the previous owner thinking that he had not cleared all his personal data but he was unable to access the pad or from his mobile phone. He went to the apple store but was unable to activate the pad as all his ID/login was cleared. this now comes full circle where at one point, as mentioned previously that I must have had access because icons appeared on the screen. However I am unable to enter the original ID/password ***** the point that I have tried so many variations I have locked myself out. I have followed the Apple online advice/support which is the same as you yourselves have suggested without success. I have tried every combination of ID/password ***** has probably only compounded the problem. I feel to resolve this issue needs insight or a different approach than offered by the Apple support online.

Can you get the id that the previous owner used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but when I log on to my Apple account (Hotmail) the message reads " Helena Greffey" your apple ID is griffyboy...... but if I logon with adegriffin10......it uses my correct name Adr***** *****

Yes, I saw that. However the is no iPad connected to either of those accounts.

When you did the restore, did you put the ipad in DFU Mode?

Try it again using these steps.

Make sure you computer has the latest iTunes installed.

Then connect the iPad with the USB cable to the computer.

Then power off the ipad.

Then press and hold the power button and count to 3, then while continuing to hold the power button and counting press the home button at the count of 3 and continue holding both buttons , then release the powee button at the count of 13, but hold the home button until you see the iPad recovery screen on itunes.

The iPad screen should remain black.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have followed this procedure 3 times with the same outcomeiTunes message "an unknown error occurred (0xE800004)next try - then a 2nd message reads "an iPad has been detected but it could not be identified properly"next message - "iTunes has detected an iPad in recovery mode. you must restore this iPad before it can be used with iTunes". I then try to activate using both email addresses and passwords which iTunes does not recognise. I had tried this procedure numerous times previously without success.

Unfortunately there is only two options left.

One will be to get the correct apple id and password, which may be impossible because there is no way to view the email address in its entirety. The other option will be to get proof of purchase that matches the iPad serial number, then Apple will wipe it for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Please reply and let me know if you need any other assistance also take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top, then click submit.

Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I thought I had already paid £36 for the service but on checking my bank account no transaction has taken place so I assume the payment did not go through. My observations are that so far the advice given to me is available on Apple online and forums (and youtube which I am wary of that if I follow the instructions that are offered I will take the pad to a place of no return.
With your experience how confident are you that I/we can get the pad up and running. I have no problem paying the subscription if a positive outcome is likely. I'm sure your response will determine how I proceed.Regards,Ade.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, AgainI have just checked my Paypal account and it is showing that £36 has been sent to you, I'm guessing it may not show up on my bank account until Monday.

I only do the tech support, I am not sure about your account info and payment. Our customer service will be happy to answer any question that you have regarding the account info.

Concerning the restore, it will return the iPad to factory settings which is good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my original question has not been addressed in that can you guarantee that the iPad can be restored so I can use it. I am happy to make the requested payment on this basis, assuming that my original Paypal payment has not been processed. I have just checked my Paypal account which shows £36 paid out to "Just Answer" on the 26/06/2016.Regards,Ade.

okay, Justanswer has a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your prompt reply (once again). Can you instruct me how to proceed on the basis that my payment has been rec'd.Regards,Ade.

yes, if you have gotten the iPad to boot into DFU mode and then tried the restore and it failed then the only option will be to get proof of original purchase for the iPad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Again,The previous owner has not got the the purchase receipt. I sent the pad back to him assuming that he had not cleared all his access info but he was unable to access the pad with his credentials. If it remains that the service guarantees 100% satisfaction but as I am unable to provide this - other than the ebay purchase documentation. I assume that all options have been exhausted leving me £36 out of pocket.Regards,Ade.

At JustAnswer, our first priority is to ensure you are 100% satisfied with your experience. We almost always find a way to help every customer, but if not, your transaction is backed by a 30-day refund policy. Review our Terms of Service for more details.

To process a refund, please return to your Order History page. To go directly to the Order History page, click here.