Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

Unable to view pics, both new and those taken prior to

Customer Question

Unable to view pics, both new and those taken prior to problem starting, but all photos can be downloaded to computer.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jo, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Are you trying to view picture WITHOUT first downloading to your PC and now it is not working while it used to work before?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I AM trying to view the pictures before downloading to my PC. Now the viewing screen is blank. Prior to this happening the ability to view the videos was lost.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jo,

Thank you for writing back with that information. Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the issue while you watch?

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No thanks. Don't like people I don't know having access to my computer. Surely you know whether or not this problem is fixable by you advising me or will have to be repaired by a professional.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jo,

Thank you for writing back and I understand about your concerns regarding Secure Remote Assistance. Of course, this problem is fixable knowing the fact that it was working fine before. And yes, I can continue to help you fix this problem in this chat mode but this process will be taking some time so please be patient.

To start, please tell me the following:

1. What is the make and model of your camera? (the source of the pictures)
  2. How do you preview the images in the camera? Are you using the Windows Image Viewer software? Or are you using the program supplied by your camera?

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
To see the pictures in the camera I press the relevant button to view them on the camera.
There is no problem with viewing them on the computer as I have mentioned a couple of times before.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jo,

Thank you for writing back with that information. So now it is a bit clear that the problem is NOT with the computer, it is with your camera. I was thinking that you were trying to view the images ON the camera right onto your computer, I am sorry about the confusion.

Now, this happened to me before on my Canon camera and the problem is with the memory card. The logic is, when you attach the card to the computer, or when you let the computer access the memory card of the camera, the computer "writes" something on the memory card that corrupts the display of thumbnails.

So the next question is: do you remove the memory card of your camera and insert it into the memory card reader of your computer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. Always use a USB cable.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for that information.

Now, my previous statement stands, since this happened to me as well. The problem is that the computer writes to the memory card when you allowed access to the card, either through a USB cable or when you manually insert the card in the memory card reader of the computer.

Now to very or test this, please do the following:

1. Take a few photos. It is a good thing if these photos are stored in a new folder automatically by the camera. If not, and if the camera organizes folders by date, you can try these steps tomorrow so that your new pictures are stored in a new folder that is NOT yet corrupted by the computer
  2. After taking new pictures, DO NOT plug in the camera to the PC yet.
  3. Instead, remove the memory card, and then LOCK it. This works only if your memory card has a slider to LOCK and UNLOCK the contents of the card. If your card has this LOCK slider, please slide it to LOCK position
  4. This means that the camera cannot write to the card and so is the computer. If you need to use the camera again, you need to remove the card and slide it away to the LOCK position.
  5. With the card inside the camera LOCKED, please view the preview of the newly taken pictures
  6. You should be able to preview the pictures now. And if you need to connect the camera to the PC, please do so with the card still in LOCKED position
  7. After connecting the camera to the PC, you should still be able to preview the pictures in the camera.

However, if after doing the steps above, you are still unable to preview pictures, I suggest that you try using another memory card as this one could have been corrupted already. Or another option is, copy the pictures to the PC, format the memory card, then use it in the camera then see if the problem is gone.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. Will try all that tomorrow and get back to you. Too tied up tonight to have the time to concentrate on all your information.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Yes, please take your time. We can resume with this tomorrow then.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The camera screen is blank when I try to view photos therefore I cannot access the menu in this function. So I cannot set the camera to organise folders by date. I tried going through the remainder of your instructions, just in case it worked, with no success.
If I take the option of a new memory card how can I stop this happening again?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for writing back and I am sorry about this late reply. First, when you use a NEW memory card, please use it normally and test it by taking pictures and then previewing them. See if you can preview the new pictures on the new memory card.

After being able to preview the pictures in the new memory card, to avoid this problem from happening again, pleae do the following:

1. If you are using a Windows computer, please make sure to run a full antivirus and antimalware scan to ensure that your system is safe from viruses and malwares
  2. Then BEFORE you plug in the camera USB to the computer to download the pictures from the camera, please be sure to LOCK the memory card, the way I described it in my previous reply. The main reason for doing this is to ensure that the computer is NOT able to write on the memory card, it can only read and copy the pictures from the card to the computer. This is actually the most important procedure that you need to follow to prevent the problem from happening again.
  3. After downloading the pictures from the camera to the PC, you need to disconnect the camera USB and that is the only time that you UNLOCK the memory card by sliding away from the LOCK location. This is to allow the camera to write and save the pictures that you shoot to the memory card.

I hope that helped.

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I took your advice and bought a new memory card but that has failed. What do I do next?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, have you tried to connect the camera to the PC already?