JamesI
JamesI, Consultant
Experience:  20 years managing and supporting IT infrastructures from end users through to design of cloud based systems.
75967336

I have a galaxy tab s. A few days ago I installed an update

I have a galaxy tab s. A few days ago I installed an update for the kids mode and now I can't exit it as my usual pass code is not working. Also all my usual apps in the kids mode have disappeared. I have tried holding down the low volume and power button as Samsung describes but my tab still starts up in kids mode each time.
Category: Computer
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Just to confirm you have tried accessing safe mode as described below?

1. Press and hold the Power/Lock key, tap Power off, and then tap OK to turn off the tablet.
  2. Press and hold the Power/Lock key and Up Volume key at the same time.
  3. Release the Power/lock key when the Samsung logo appears.
  4. Release the Up Volume keys when the Android image appears.
  5. When the menu appears, press the Down Volume key to select Wipe cache partition.
  6. Press the Power/Lock key.
  7. Once the message, “Cache wipe complete” appears on the screen below the menu, Press the Power/Lock key to select Reboot system now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried that and it has not worked but I'm not sure I'm releasing the buttons at the right time as as the screens seem to be different to what you suggest. The first screen I get say Samsung galaxy tab s powered by android, and the next screen has the Samsung logo in colour. So have now tried holding the power and low volume key and power and high volume key and neither has any effect.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

There are many ways to access the menu it all depends on the firmware version, can you please try

1. Press and hold the Power key, tap Power off, and then tap OK.
  2. Press and hold the Power key, Home key and Up Volume key at the same time.
  3. Release all of the keys when the Android image appears.
  4. Press the Volume key to highlight wipe cache partition.
  5. Press the Power key.
  6. Once the wipe is complete, press the Volume key to move the cursor to Reboot system now.
  7. Press the Power key.
  8. The device shuts down, restarts, and takes you to the startup menu.

If this doesnt work the next step would be a master reset which will wipe everything on the device, and you will need to reinstall your apps, which is obviously the last option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I cleared the cache and rebooted but it still starts up in kids mode.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Right, repeat the process again but this time select SAFE MODE, if its not listed you will need to chose the option for a factory reset.

4. Press the Volume key to highlight safe mode.
  5. Press the Power key.
  7. Press the Power key.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

5. Press the Power key.
  6. The device will boot up in safe mode and you should be able to uninstall the kidz mode app
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK had to do factory reset. :-( Should I suspect that there is something wrong with the kids mode and no longer use it. It is the Samsung one that is already installed on the tablet.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Sorry you had to lose your data, once you set up the account again you should be able to use the restore process to recover the majority of your data from the cloud.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance, I would also appreciate if you could rate the service received today.