Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

After removing a windows 10 upgrade which I didn't want my

After removing a windows 10 upgrade which I didn't want my battery is showing not detected and computer will not boot up if the battery is in during startup. I have a Toshiba Satellite two and a half years old
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you remove the battery and power cable from the Toshiba

Then hold the power button in for 60 seconds then release.

Connect the battery, turn it on and tell me if it now starts please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How can I do that when I am on the computer to you. I have tried that anyway
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please answer. I am getting worrid about this site
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

You need to shut down the computer and do this, then return to this web page please when done

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have done that and the computer doesn't work. I then plug in the ac adapter after removing battery and it starts as normal
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, can you do the following please

Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me if it starts with the battery in please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do I have to pay again
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

no, you need to do the instructions I gave please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I press windows key and X I do not get a command prompt just a box windows mobility center
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, then Please click on Start->All Programs->Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Chkdsk didn't find any problems with the hard disk and computer did not start until I removed the battery
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

What did sfc /scannow say at completion?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just went back to the windows 32 ,no questions
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

did it complete the scan though?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Which model Toshiba do you have?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Satellite
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

I need the model numbers and letters please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
L850-1D5
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, go to my link

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/support/drivers/

Choose Portable, Satelite, then the model number

then download and install the chipset utility

Once installed, restart and tell me if you still have the problem please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
0 ITEMS FOUND
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Sorry I do not understand your response.... 0 items found where? What are you referring to

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
THAT WAS THE RESPONSE TO THE SEARCH FOR THE CHIPSET UTILITY
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

its there, I am seeing it., you need to use the values I gave

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I changed the date and it is now downloadind
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What do I do after the download
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, Date you leave blank, it was only the value I asked you to do.

download and install the chipset utility

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It started after a minute but the battery light is still blinking and battery icon when clicked still says no battery detected
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

if you remove and put batter back in does this stop the blinking?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is blinking again
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, if you shut it down, take out the battery, then start it up then put the battery in like you were doing before, does it stop blinking?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, its a faulting battery, the drivers got it to start with it faulting, but the battery itself is at fault.

You will need to get a replacement battery and you can get one from my link below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Battery-Toshiba-SATELLITE-L850-1D5/dp/B00EXQJU5I

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry