Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have an Acer Aspire One D270 notebook. It has been working

I have an Acer Aspire One D270 notebook. It has been working fine until today when it will not allow me to log in. I have the message 'The User Profile Service service failed the logon. The user profile cannot be loaded'. If I do not enter any password ***** have the option to re-set password ***** this apparently requires a 'change password' disk or flash drive which I do not have. Is there anywhere I can go from here?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

I can help you with this.

First, can you turn off the computer

turn it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.

Choose Safe Mode.

This should get you into Windows in Safe Mode (you wont have internet but it is not needed for this).

Once in, click Start, and type in

System Restore

Press enter and follow the onscreen instructions to perform a Restore from the last Restore point.

Once completed, tell me if you can now start into Windows normally please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've gone through that procedure and the login procedure gives the same message 'The User profile service service failed the logon.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Did it actually allow you to complete the restore? And it completed the restore? As it usually takes 20 minutes to complete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It went through what seemed to be a restore procedure which finished up with the normal login screen. Should I try it again?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes, but choose an earlier restore point please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The previous restore point was in March so I chose that. The restore seemed to take longer and lo and behold I can now long in without problem. Thank you for this. I have another problem with my PC to do with Windows Live mail but will hopefully talk to you about that later. Many thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Perfect

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit