Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I was running reimage plus on my toshiba satellite c50--14d.

Customer Question

i was running reimage plus on my toshiba satellite c50-b-14d. it said that it was safer to scan my computer in safe mode and started to restart and then asked for my account password. when i entered the password ***** said that it was incorrect is there anyway pass this. i did not change the password btw
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Joe, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. What version of Windows is running on this Toshiba computer? Is it Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 10?

Also, in the account login screen, is your username already shown there waiting for password ***** be entered? If yes, is the username an email address?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 10 is the version and i have a user name with the e-mail underneath it i just had to enter the password. the password ***** 6603 which i never changed
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Is the problem laptop connected to the internet? Also, please tell me the email address shown there as the username so that I can check your recovery options.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my user name is ***** ***** e-mail address is***@******.***, there are three symbols in bottom right of screen which are shut down ,ease of access and connect to internet which has a red x indicating its not connected
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Can you connect the laptop to the internet through a LAN cable or wifi? If it was connected to a wifi before and it was set to autoconnect, turning on the wifi switch of the laptop should make is connect to your wifi. But if wifi is not available, please try to connect it to your router through an ethernet cable.

Also, the password ***** are using appears to be a security PIN. Can you lease check that you are keying in the correct digit and correct keyboard settings? Please try entering the password/PIN with NumLock ON and also try when it is OFF.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the password ***** 6603 and i have tried both with num lock on and off
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, like I mentioned, that 4 digit code you are using is a security PIN and the cache could have been corrupted since it is no longer accepting it despite the fact that you entered it correctly.

Can you connect the laptop to the internet so that we can reset your password?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok hang on please
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Please take your time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have connected laptop by an ethernet cable but the red x has not gone at bottom of screen
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Let us just try to reset your Microsoft account password ***** see if the new password ***** ***** instead of the 4 digit PIN.

Now, please tell me your mobile number ending in 55.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
00353852703655
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I initiated the reset and you must receive a code through SMS (text). Please give me the code so that I can reset the password ***** your account.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Did you receive a code on your mobile phone? Please give it to me before the reset page expires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I have reset your password. It is not secure to post the password ***** so I created a private note for you that only you can open. After you open it, it will auto-destruct so others cannot open it.

Here is the link:

https://privnote.com/DndopObJ#i6ck6bjpd

Please let me know if you are able to sign in to your Windows 10 computer then.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i cant change my user name which is jp1dub
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I was referring to the username shown in the login screen of your computer. You mentioned it is an email address.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant sign in i am not permitted to change user name its just looking for password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No its a user name which is jp1dub
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so I believe it is NOT a Microsoft account then but a local account. Do you see any "Sign-in options" link below the password *****?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there is none its the admin name and password ***** most computers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its my computer so i had only one account on it
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Have you restarted the computer then try loggin in again? If not, please try to reboot the computer, then try logging in with Numlock ON and with numlock OFF.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done what you asked and still no joy
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Have you tried blank password?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no luck there either somehow the password ***** my user name was changed when i was running reimage software
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I believe so. And since the user account is NOT a Microsoft account (not an email address), we cannot reset the password. Our option now is to recover the password ***** clear it using some tools. But is there a CD or DVD drive in the problem computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can attach a portable external dvd
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I have checked further and found a lot of people having same problem as yours. Unfortunately, there is no easy tool to hack in to the system bypassing the password. The readily available route for this is to access the data on your computer through a bootable tool, then reset the computer to factory settings, then load back the backed up files. However, programs you installed will be lost and you need to reinstall them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah i had come to that conclusion myself
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Another option though is to use commercial password ***** tool so that there will be no hassle. You just download the tool in another computer, create the bootable CD or USB, set the computer to boot to the CD or USB first through the BIOS, and let the tool recover, clear or reset the password ***** the account. But these types of software are commercial though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No ill just reset my computer to factory settings
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. But do you have a lot of data to backup before doing that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No data was already backed up its just having to reload the programs again
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Oh ok. I am glad you were able to backup your data. So you just need to reset the Toshiba computer to factory settings. Please follow these steps:

1. Completely shut down your laptop from the Windows start menu.
  2. Remove all external devices connected to the laptop including the mouse, keyboard, thumb drives, USB hubs, Bluetooth adapters, monitors, and etc.
  3. Connect your laptop to the AC power adapter.
  4. Press and hold the 0 (zero) key, then power ON the laptop.
  5. Release the keys when a warning message displays on your screen.
  6. If the recovery process offers you an option to chose an Operating System, make sure to select the most appropriate OS.
  7. Another warning message will appear notifying you that all data will be deleted once the recovery process starts. Click “Yes” to continue with the recovery process.
  8. The Toshiba Recovery Wizard should now open and provide an option “Recovery of Factory Software”. Simply select this option and follow the directions on the screen.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok jess i will start that procedure and thanks for your help again
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome Joe and thank you for your patience. Thank you for using our service as well.

If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That factory reset doesnt work it keeps going back to password *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Factory reset is not working it keeps going back to the password *****
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for writing back and I am very sorry about the persisting issues. When you press and hold the 0 key, and then turn ON the computer while still holding the 0 key, what happens? Did you not see the recovery wizard screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it just goes ti the toshiba leading innovation screen then it goes to the password *****
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Are you pressing the 0 key in the numeric keypad? If yes, please try pressing the 0 key NOT in the numeric keypad instead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i was pressing the 0 key under the f10 key
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Since the recovery tool is not activated by pressing down 0 while turning ON the computer, chances are, your hidden recovery partition cold have been damaged, altered, corrupted or deleted. In this case, you will need a set of Recovery Discs to proceed with factory restore.

However, please try one more time using these steps:

1. Restart the computer
  2. As it is restarting, press and keep tapping (do not keep it held like what you did in 0 key, just tap tap tap) the F8 key
  3. Please tell me if it is showing some options on screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thats not working either it still keeps going to the password *****
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

In this case, you need to use a set of recovery discs since the hidden recovery partition is not working.

Have you created the set of recovery discs before when the computer was new? That is the time you will use it. If not, then you need to order a set of recovery discs online using the link below:

https://support.toshiba.com/repair?orderType=SFF

In the middle part of that screen there you can see where you can order the recovery DVDs by first entering the serial number of the problem laptop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ill bring the laptop back to the computer shop its still under warranty
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Oh great! That is a good thing that it is still under warranty. You shall have it repaired for free then. Also, please your storage device where you backed up all your data since you will need it to restore your data.

Thanks,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for your assistance tonight
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, Joe! Just let me know any time if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Jess