Dan
Dan, Network Administrator
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

Outlook 2013 does not send e-mail. The server responded to a

Outlook 2013 does not send e-mail. The server responded to a test e-mail with the message 421 Too many messages.
The fault occurred after I had tried to send an e-mail to along list of recipients
Geoff Wheeler
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. You will need to cut back the amount of emails sent at one time. Try starting with fifty at a time to see if you can get them through.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried that, but since sending the earlier one with too many addresses all e-mails sent go into the outbox and are not sent
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

What are you using for an antivirus program?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
McAfee
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Try disabling that then try your email again.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

What version of Windows are you running and have you tried disabling McAfee?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 10 - I have tried disabling Mcafee
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay and still the same message when you send an email?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Have you made any changes to your email settings, or has your internet service provider changed anything that you are aware of?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no - I went through configuration with Microsoft help but no success
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay. I have attempted to connect remotely but I am having trouble with the link. Until I can resolve this, give this a try. Open up the Control Panel on your PC (and show All Control Panel items, if necessary) and click on Programs, then Programs and Features. Find Microsoft Office 2013 in the list and highlight it.
Click Change. Select Repair and Continue then follow the prompts. You may need to restart. Once complete, try sending a test message.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck but should I have restarted even if it didn't say that?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes it wouldn't hurt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That didn't appear to work I'm afraid. Couldn't I ask my e-mail provider to clear out earlier sent messages?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You may have to do that depending on where they are stuck. Open your outbox in Outlook and check to see if all those emails are pending.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The outbox says they were sent but they still appear there; it appears an attempt is made whenever I've sent a test message
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, try clearing the outbox by deleting those emails.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done that. I can send messages from my account in the providers website
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay so you can send directly from your ISP but not through Outlook then correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's correct
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay. I can send you a link for a utility to repair the 421 error, or you can try reinstalling Outlook?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I try the link first. Would reinstalling Outlook lose the e-mails, folders etc?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay here is the LINK. Before you reinstall Outlook, you can export your contacts so you don't lose them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my Antimalware software won't allow the link - I'll try reinstalling Outlook but leave it until tomorrow. Thank you for your advice so far
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It may be your McAfee that is causing the problem to begin with. If you decide to reinstall Outlook, follow these instructions to do a backup. To start backing up your files click the “File” menu, then Open & Export. Click on Import/Export to open the Import and Export Wizard. Choose export to a file then select Outlook Data File. Select all the files you want to backup and proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan,I contacted my IP who suggested that the fault was connected with their server's lack of capacity compared with Gmail for example and that it would clear itself after 24 hours - it did!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hear it. With so many pieces to the puzzle, it can take awhile to figure out just where the problem is, but at lease you are back to normal.