ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  15 years as a professional computer technician.
56108293

I'm about to replace my existing Dell Vostro laptop with a

Customer Question

I'm about to replace my existing Dell Vostro laptop with a new Dell Latitude laptop, both running Win 7 Pro.
My plan was to 'upgrade' the new laptop to Windows 10 when data and applications had been transferred successfully from my old laptop.
Dell's sales info claims that both data and programs can be transferred successfully with their Transfer My PC utility (for which I am paying extra).
Most of my programs have been downloaded, but some were purchased on CD.
Is Transfer My PC a reasonable solution to this transfer problem?
Category: Computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today!

Transfer MyPC is fine for what it is: a program designed to make sure documents, pictures, videos, address books, locally stored e-mails, etc from one computer to another. In this respect, it should work as well as any other data transfer program.

But you mentioned programs, and while Transfer MyPC is capable of moving programs from one machine to another, if any of the programs on your old machine are not compatible with Windows 10 then they won't work. So I would question Dell about that and make sure, if there are any programs that are very important to you, that they are Win 10 compatible.

As long as there are no compatibility issues, then you should be fine.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this and please remember to rate the answer for me before you run.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But assuming the new laptop continues to run Win7, then there shouldn't be a problem?

Although Dell mentioned that Microsoft Office can't be moved, and I will have to purchase a completely new program. Is that true?

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.

Regarding your first question, you shouldn't have a problem as long as you stick with Windows 7. If you move everything over and it works fine, and you THEN upgrade to Win 10, then the compatibility question still applies. Mostly likely all your programs will be compatible, but especially when it comes to older programs, this isn't always the case.

Regarding Office, that depends on the version. If it's 2013 or 2016, then you may be able to sign into the Office suite with your Microsoft account and re-download it. But if it's older than that and was something you installed from CD/DVD, then you would need that installation disc with the activation key to reinstall it.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.

By Office SUITE, I meant Office SITE.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any other questions and please remember to rate the answer for me before you run.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there transfer software which would be preferable to the basic Dell product, and would result in a better chance of successful transfer of programs?

I understand the Win 10 compatability issue.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.

No, not really. In fact, most transfer programs don't move programs at all -- they only move data like documents, pictures, music, locally stored e-mails, etc.

Also, Transfer MyPC is not really a Dell product, they just have a Dell-branded version of it. It's really a product made by a company called Orlogix. You can read more about it here:

http://www.orlogix.com/product.php?catalogue_id=1&product_id=79

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.

No problem, have a good day!