Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I son has a macbook pro and when he checked s email he had

I son has a macbook pro and when he checked his email he had received an email from one of his friends. It looked suspicious so he contacted his friend who said he had not sent the email.He is afraid he may have gotten a virus. I told him just to switch of his macbook. What should he do now? Is there any way I can scan his mackbook to determine if it is a virus? I am more used to Windows PC's
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jimmy, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Can I remotely access his Mac so that I can check the suspicious email and perform a scan for malicious files while you watch?

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option. If you do not want the remote option, I can continue to help you through this chat method.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Remote access is not possible I'm afraid. What else can you offer?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I only provide chat support like what we are doing now, and secure remote access. So I believe we can just continue using this chat option.

Please give me a moment to type the procedures for you.

I will get back to you with the procedures.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for patiently waiting.

The email that your son got could be a common spoofing email. That is, an email pretending to come from a known contact but it actually did not.

So it is also possible that this spoofing email has malicious file attachment that compromise the computer. If not, it could contain links that will redirect him to a phishing website or to malware-infected website.

So it is better to perform an antivirus scan and an antimalware scan to ensure that the computer is safe. And just mark the suspicious email as a SPAM or JUNK so that future emails from the same sender will not touch his Inbox, but sent directly to Junk or Spam folder.

Here are the procedures for the 2 scanning procedures, please do them in the order presented below:

A. Download, Install and Scan using Avast Antivirus

1. Go to this link:
    https://www.avast.com/en-us/free-mac-security
  2. Download the FREE security tool
  3. After downloading, locate the downloaded file, double click on it to install it
  4. After installing, run the antivirus software and perform a quick scan
  5. Remove all threats that the software has detected

After doing the Avast Scan, please do the Malwarebytes scan to ensure that all malwares that Avast failed to detect are detected and removed.

B. Malwarebytes Scan

1. Go to this link:
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/
  2. Download the FREE tool
  3. Install it after downloading
  4. After installing, please run the tool and then allow it to update its database, then perform a quick scan
  5. Remove all detected threats

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have used both of these before on PC's - are you saying they will also work on Macbooks as well? Is there no built in anti-virus program on Macbooks?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, they are built for PCs but they now have Mac versions as well. Just follow the links that I gave you since they are the Mac version of the security tools.

Though Mac has built in security tools, those tools I gave you are recommended to enhance your computer security.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will not be able to do this until later today and will let you know then. Out of interest what are the built in programs you are talking about that the macbook's have for finding fixing viruses?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Macs are equipped with basic protection called XProtect.

Here are 2 articles that describe this security tool for Macs:

http://www.howtogeek.com/217043/xprotect-explained-how-your-macs-built-in-anti-malware-works/

http://www.macworld.com/article/1142457/snowleopard_malware.html

I hope that helped.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that I will run these later today and let you know. I'm sure they will be fine.Best Regards
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, Jimmy.

If you need anything else later, just let me know. I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess