Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My Butterfly-m series laptop indicates to be activated.This

My Butterfly-m series laptop indicates to be activated.This appears to be incorrect because it will not accept a free upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7.Help please thankyou.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Are you saying windows 10 indicates it needs to be activated Reg? You got this message after doing the upgrade or it demands it before you do the upgrade?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
before the attempted upgrade the computer said it was activated.My attempt to upgrade then failed
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

What was the exact message you got when the upgrade failed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this in addition to the £30 in which the answer is no
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Reg,

The question I asked was

Can you please respond to this.

What your talking about is a service the website offers, please ignore it and respond to my questions...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there was no reply because it was impossible to start the free upgrade because it was obviously not activated.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, can you download and run the tool on my link below to manually perform the upgrade

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

Run it this way and tell me exactly what happens please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I downloaded the link and it proceeded to install the upgrade up to 99 per cent in total and then stuck. There was no indication given for the failure. Your help please,thanks Reg.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi Reg

How long dd you leave it when it was at 99%? as that last step can take up to an hour.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Richard,
I left the laptop for at least 90 mins before I went to bed. Should I re-run the download and installation or is it necessary to uninstall the previous attempt?
Regards Reg.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok do this please

Press the windows key + E

Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete all the files that are in the folder (but don't delete the folder itself).

Then restart the computer and use my instructions again to try to do the install.

Let me know the results please.