IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Ux32a webcam not visible in device manager

Customer Question

ux32a webcam not visible in device manager
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

Please tell me the make and model of your computer so that I can better assist you. Also, has the webcam worked before or it never worked?

Let me know,
IT Miro

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Asus ux32a - Yes, it used to work
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

OK. Please open the Device Manager and check if you can see the "Imaging Devices" category. If you do, please expand it and let me know the name of the item(s) you see there.

Thanks,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I only see HP LI 177 Scan Driver... but there are two unknown devices
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

When a webcam is installed, it is visible under the "Imaging Devices" category. For laptop webcams, it is usually called "Integrated webcam".

I checked for the Asus ux32a webcam drivers and I couldn't find individual drivers, which means they must be a part of the chipset drivers or a part of the Windows drivers.

May I know if you have recently re-installed Windows or removed or updated the chipset drivers?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think a driver update a year ago caused this but I've updated all the chipset drivers today to see if it would help and hasn't. I've not ever reinstalled Windows
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for confirming! Let's see what those 2 "unknown devices" are all about. Please right-click on the first one in the Device Manager and select Properties. Click on the Details tab. There select Hardware Ids on the drop-down menu. You will then see the ID in the Value section below.

Please type here the IDs for both of those unknown devices so that I can check what they represent. I can then find the correct drivers. Hopefully, that will help solve the problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They both show the same:USB\VID_88087&PID_0024&REV_0000
USB\VID_88087&PID_0024
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Yes, that is the same ID and it refers to the "Generic USB Hub". For testing purposes, please un-plug all USB devices that are currently plugged in and use the touch-pad to access the Device Manager. Exit the Device Manager window and re-open it in case it is already open to refresh the data.

Do you still see those two unknown devices there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are no USB devices attached and I am using the touch pad
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
By the way, the drivers on the asus website are "older than the ones installed"
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Here is the Asus driver web site:

https://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/411/0/1/dkKrX92ffIoHBKgg/30/

Have you tried installing both the chipset and USB drivers from there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
for the chipset but didn't install the usb ones as they are older than the ones I have but i'll try them anyway
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have to restart. How can I continue this conversation after a reboot?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Since it seems that the problem is with the drivers, I suggest uninstalling the current chipset and USB drivers and installing the ones from the Asus driver web site. It is possible that the newer drivers cause problems.

You can uninstall the current drivers either from the Device Manager or the Control Panel. When done, restart the computer.

After the restart, you can go to JustAnswer and click on "My Questions" which contains the link to this page. You can also bookmark this web page (add to Favorites) for an easier access. Send me a message and I will respond to you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hasn't worked but I did see the devices USB webcam pop up in device manager briefly
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Then they changed to unknown again :-(
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

That's strange. Since you say it did appear for a moment, it could be that one of the startup programs or drivers are causing the problem. For that reason, I suggest checking the status while booted in Safe Mode.

To do that, restart your computer and then keep pressing the F8 key rapidly until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu. Once you see it, select Safe Mode. Log in to your Windows account.

You will notice that there is a black background and that most Windows 7 functions are disabled. That is normal for Safe Mode. Just check with the Device Manager to see if there are any changes.

To exit Safe Mode, restart your computer. Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, but a few minutes ago the pc blue screened and then it would also blue screen on every reboot. I had to use startup repairI'll update in a few minutes
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

OK, take your time and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In safe mode they still show up as unknown
I tried reinstalling the usb driver but it blue screened again
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've updated to the latest drivers using a driver update software as that seems the most stable although the webcam doesn't work. I'm going to leave it for now as it's late here
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Hmm. It looks like this may not be a software (driver) problem after all. The web cam in laptops is connected directly to the motherboard, so you only need to install the chipset drivers. I believe there is a problem with the webcam itself, or with the cable that leads from the webcam to the motherboard. Most likely, you get blue screens because of that.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

If the laptop is still under warranty, you can report a problem to Asus. If it isn't, you can take it to the computer repair shop so they can check the internal webcam connections.

Alternatively, you can just purchase a small USB web cam and use it with your computer, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Desktop-Widescreen-Calling-Recording/dp/B004FHO5Y6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468708222&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+webcam+laptop

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
mmm... I don't agree that that's likely the case. I'll consider sending it off to Asus for repair.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll probably go the buy a new webcam route.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

As you can see, there is no web cam drivers available on the Asus driver web page, so I don't believe this is the software (driver) problem. However, I am not sure what caused it since you said it had worked before.

A new USB webcam is probably the fastest solution. Sorry for not being able to fully solve the internal webcam problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
One other thing I didn't mention is that my USB headset doesn't work either anymore so with two USB devices not working I don't think it's hardware
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Hello again! Thanks for the update.

In that case, it seems that the cause of the problem lies in those two unknown devices which refer to the USB hub. Please plug in another USB device such as mouse, printer or removable disk drive. Try with all USB ports on the laptop.

Let me know if it was detected.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Other USB devices such as sticks, drives, etc work fine. The card reader for which the driver is called USB 2.0 Card Reader doesn't although it also used to (I've reinstalled that driver but it didn't help). And the two devices remain unknown even when all USB ports are connected to different devices
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wireless mouse and keyboard adapter also works fine
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

I see. Has the webcam problem started to occur about the same time as your card reader stopped working?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't be sure but I would guess yes
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

OK. Have you tried to (re)install the Card Reader drivers from the Asus driver web site?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think I said so earlier. I tried it yesterday but it still doesn't recognise cards.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for confirming!

Please tell me if you have 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7.

If you are not sure, just double-click the Computer icon and open your C:\ drive (Local Disk). If you see two "Programs Files" folders there, like this:

- Program Files
- Program Files (x86)

that means you have 64-bit version of Windows 7.

However, if there is only 1 "Program Files" folder, you have 32-bit version of Windows 7.

I will try to find some other drivers or alternative solution to the problem you are experiencing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
64bit
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the information!

I will check if there are other drivers you can install, or find a workaround.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Hello! I was able to find several different USB drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. See if you can use those drivers with the two "unknown device" items in the Device Manager which refer to the "Generic USB Hub".

Here is what to do:

1. First, completely exit any auto driver update program you might be using

2. Next, download the zip file containing the USB drivers. Link: http://tinyurl.com/glcz5lm

3. Extract the contents of that zip file to a folder (right-click the zip file and select Extract All...). You should then see 5 sub-folders with names: "folder 1", "folder 2", "folder 3", "folder 4" and "folder 5"

4. Open the Device Manager and locate the "unknown device" items

5. Right-click on the first one and select "Update Driver Software...", and then click on "Browse my computer for driver software" and click on the "Browse..." button. Select the "folder 1" sub-folder and click "OK" and then click "Next"

6. Check if the drivers will be installed. If not, repeat the steps to try all remaining sub-folders (folder 2 to folder 5). Hopefully, one of them will contain the correct USB drivers for your computer

7. Once you are done with the first "unknown device" item, do the same for the other "unknown device" item in case it is still there

8. After that, check if both the webcam and the card reader are detected and working properly

Take your time to follow these instructions and let me know the results.

Regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Windows wouldn't use any of those drivers for either unknown device
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Hello!

Since none of the drivers were accepted, even though they should work with any Windows 7 64-bit computer (generic USB drivers), I am starting to believe the problem is with the Windows installation. It might have been corrupted. For that reason, I suggest running some test and repair tools:

#1 - Check the hard disk for errors
1. Double-click the Computer icon to see all your drives (C:, D:, etc)

2. Locate your first disk (C:), right-click it and select Properties

3. Click on the Tools tab and under Error-checking section, click the Check now... button

4. There check both check-boxes and click Start

5. Repeat the procedure for other drives, for example D:, E: etc (if you have several disk drives)

6. Since the disk drives are in use, you will need to restart the computer so that the selected drives can be checked for errors prior starting Windows again. Just don't press anything and leave the process to finish. It could take up to 20 minutes. When it is done, it will start Windows normally. Check if there are any changes.

#2 - System integrity check

1. Click the Windows Start button and type cmd into the search box and once you see a black Command Prompt icon in the search results, under the Programs section, right-click it and select Run as administrator

2. When the Command Prompt window opens, type:

sfc /scannow

and press Enter. Note that there is space after "sfc"

3. Wait for the scan to finish. It may take up to 1 hour to complete. That command is used to detect and automatically repair corrupted Windows files (if backup files are still there). Once it is done, you can restart the computer and check if there are any changes

#3 - Windows Update

Check for new Windows updates that may contain the compatible drivers as well.

1. Click the Windows Start button and type:

windows update

into the search box and press Enter

2. When a new window opens, click the Check for updates button. Wait a while and you will be able to install all new available updates

3. It may take a while to finish. When done, restart your computer and check if there are any changes

Let me know how that went.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi. I already tried (1) and (3) before contacting this site. I'm running (2) now and will let you know the results later (8 hours later as it's night here)
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Sure, no problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually it finished quicker than expected:C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannowBeginning system scan. This process will take some time.Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.logThe system file repair changes will take effect after the next reboot.C:\Windows\system32>I'll convert the log to another format and send it later, I'll also do the reboot later
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Based on that report, some files were indeed corrupted, but couldn't be fixed. I am not sure if they are causing the issue with the drivers.

The mentioned CBS.log file is usually big and not quite readable. You can open it with a text editor such as Notepad to see what I mean. I've tried to analyze several of those log files before, and I couldn't find anything useful, so you don't need to send it.

Anyway, may I know if you have an anti-virus program installed? Also, have you experienced any other problem with your computer recently apart from the webcam/card reader issue?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As anticipated even after the correction via a reboot the devices are still unknown. I have several security software installed (even one that blocks 3rd parties from secretly accessing my webcam but I have disabled that option anyway) such as Malware bytes, Microsoft Security Essentials and Zemana AntiLogger
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Hello! Thanks for the update.

It seems none of the repair options I suggested worked, unfortunately. I am out of further ideas as to what caused the problem and how to quickly solve it. I can only suggest you to re-install Windows which will show you if the problem was software or hardware related. There is a way to re-install Windows over existing Windows installation (overwrite) which won't delete anything on the C: disk, although you will need to re-install some of the programs afterward; or you can choose to re-install Windows as a clean installation by formatting (deleting) the existing C: disk. You can transfer the important data from the C: disk to another disk before proceeding.

To re-install Windows, you need to have a Windows installation disc. I can guide you through the re-installation process if needed.

After the re-installation, you can install the drivers available on the Asus driver web page - there is no need to use third-party driver updater. Drivers for "Generic USB Hub" are included in Windows so you shouldn't be seeing any more "unknown devices"; however, if you do, then it means it is a hardware problem after all which cannot be solved by drivers.

Regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well I can test the hardware by booting off a stick into linux rather than reinstalling windows. I used IOBit Driver Booster to clean unplugged device data and now I see it try to find a driver for USB Webcam but then vanishes from device manager
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Sure, you can boot to Linux to see if both the webcam and the card reader will be recognized and fully working.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, it'll be a while though as I'm travelling from tomorrow... I was trying to fix this for that reason but I'll make do with my phone for now. I'll update here in a week or two. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Sure, no problem. Good luck!

Regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just Answer requires that I respond to your last post so... thanks :-) (Please don't post again until I add news about the hardware test, etc.)
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Let me just note that you may receive e-mails from JustAnswer every few days, asking you to respond or rate my assistance. Those are automatic e-mails and you can just ignore them.

Whether you rate my assistance now or later, this question page will always remain open for you, and you can ask as many follow-up questions as you want.

Regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
By the way the problem now affects my android phone too :-(
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Hello again!

Please explain in what way the problem now affects your android phone. The original problem should be related to the Asus internal webcam not working, so I am a bit confused now when you have mentioned Android phone.

Thanks,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's all USB related. When I connect my phone I can't see it as an external drive as I used to. At this point the only USB devices that work are sticks and drives.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Oh, I see. Were you able to test the problem with Linux?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, I haven't had time yet but I'll do so over the weekend
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

OK. That will tell you if it is a software problem (with Windows) or a hardware problem (with USB hub).

Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Hello again! How is it going?

Have you determined if the problem was with Windows or it was a hardware problem?

Let me know,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I was travelling. I booted from a live Ubuntu USB stick and everything without exception works fine. So not hardware
Joe
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Hello again, Joe! Thanks for the update!

Since everything works fine in Ubuntu, it means something is wrong with the Windows installation. The USB hub drivers must have been corrupted since none of the suggested fix worked. For that reason, you will need to re-install Windows 7 to fully solve the problem. First, backup the important data on the system (C:) drive and proceed with the re-installation.

If you don't have a Windows 7 installation disc, let me know, there is a way to download the Windows 7 ISO image from the Internet and burn it onto a blank DVD. You just need to have a valid Windows 7 product key.

If you require any other assistance, let me know.

Regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is this reinstall going to mean reinstalling all my software too? Can I boot Windows 7 and choose to repair the current installation?
Joe
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

Hello, Joe!

Unfortunately, repairing the current Windows installation won't work in this case since there are many Windows files that need to be replaced. Only Windows re-installation will help solve the problem.

To re-install Windows, you need to have a Windows installation disc and boot from it. You can then choose whether to re-install Windows over existing Windows installation which will overwrite the Windows files, without deleting anything on the system (C:) drive, or you can do a clean Windows installation by deleting (formatting) the current system (C:) drive.

When doing an overwrite, all the installed programs will remain, but some of them will still need to be re-installed to fully work with the new Windows installation; while others will continue to work. For example, you will need to re-install the drivers, an anti-virus program and Microsoft Office.

When doing a clean Windows re-install, you will need to re-install everything.

Alternatively, you can use the Asus restore utility to restore your computer to factory defaults if the recovery partition is still there. It is similar to the clean re-install. You get a fresh Windows installation with all the drivers; however, you need to re-install other programs.

In case you have created a backup of your Windows installation when all worked fine, you can restore to it. If not, proceed with the re-installation.

I can assist you with the re-installation if needed.

Regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am not interested in this solution. Thanks anyway
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

Hello!

I am not a fan of the Windows re-install my self, but when all known repair options fail and manual attempt of USB drivers doesn't work (if you remember, I sent you 5 different set of USB drivers, and nothing worked), the Windows re-install is a logical choice.

Anyway, it is up to you decide the next step.

Best regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's cost-benefit ratio thing. The cost, in terms of effort and time, far outweighs the benefit I'd gain. I'm going to leave it as it is for another year or two when I upgrade my PC and have to reinstall everything again anyway.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

No problem, I understand. I am sorry none of the repair method I suggested worked!