Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

My Apple Computer says my printer is not connected but I

Customer Question

My Apple Computer says my printer is not connected but I have unplugged then checked everything back in place and it all seems fine. Wireless signal showing clearly on my HP Officejet 6500A. Have checked ink levels too. All OK What can I try to restore things to normal please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I will need to ask for a few details before I could venture to advise you, so please tell me:

1. What message, exactly and in full, do you see on your Apple computer, indicating that the printer is not connected?

2. And, when does it appear? presumably after sending a print job, but also perhaps after bootup, or after other operations.

3. Has your printer worked previously?

4. Have you tried sending a print job from more than one app ? (sometimes one app may have a problem with printing.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Printer has worked previously - last used about two weeks ago.
Apple computer says " Printer not connected" when I checked printer status to see that "default printer" was listed.
Not sure what you mean in question 4. Should I try and print something via my phone - never done that before`?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

So, does the Apple computer say, "Printer not connected", without your sending any print job to the printer at the time or immediately before?

No need to try printing from your phone... but if you feel like it, that could reveal something about this case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I send print job request from "file" is when the "printer not connected" notice appears. Sorry, but cannot afford for you to "Secure Remote" fix things.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Don't worry - that request or offer was generated by the JustAnswer.com website, not by me. I don't think this is a Secure Remote Assistance type case yet, myself.

If you had another printer installed and working on this computer previously, then is it possible that the print job request was sent to that former printer? Please double-check on that point. (You see, when a printer was formerly installed, it was not necessarily removed from the computer even if it is physically absent now. This can cause the default printer to accidentally be set to that former, now absent, printer, causing print jobs to fail.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** printer installed. There is one listed fronm ages ago but I made very sure that the 6500A Plus printer was selected. I also checked the print queue ( Advanced technology for me!) and that is when it also says " Printer not connected. Print job paused." When I ' resume" still no printing action.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I see.

Is your computer (the one you're trying to print from) connected to the internet?

I will be preparing some instructions for you, and post them in a moment... but first tell me please, what MAC OS X version is on your Apple computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Macbook Pro machine inherited from more computer-literate relative who is not available. It is "OS-X El Capitan" version 10.11.5
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information.

Here are instructions for what to do, to reset the printing system... which might get the printer working:

go to

Apple menu

System Preferences,

click Printers & Scanners.

Hold down the Control key and click in the list, at the left,

then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu.

...after you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners is empty. So you will need to Add back in the printer (HP Officejet 6500A) at this point.

Then try some simple print job, please. See if the print job goes through.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If you are still online, please let me know how the reset of the printing system went. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying but after "reset printing system" it seems to have frozen and cannot ADD the officejet6500A Plus printer at all. There is a screen that shows " Default. IP. Windows" but cannot get the cursor to open/move/shake anything....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't let me "ADD" any printer. Is there something different that should be done to set up the printer via wireless/wi-fi as I think this was how it was done beforehand. ( And which has worked seamlessly for some years....)
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I regret the difficulty.

You may have to use a utility to set up the printer. I am seeking that utility, just a moment, please.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Do you know the IP Address that your printer is currently set to? it will be required, for adding this networked printer back into the system.

If you do not know it, printing the Network Configuration Page from the printer will have the IP Address (four numbers separated by periods).

If you need details for printing that information page, let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay...new territory....where do I print that info please?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

On an HP 6500A... (making sure I am giving you the right instructions, please wait a moment...)

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

On the HP printer, press the SETUP button - a wrench icon should distinguish it.

Then press the right-arrow ( > ) button, to scroll through the options and find

Network Setup

and then press OK.

Then use the right-arrow again, to scroll through and find

Print Network Configuration Page

and then press OK.

The IP Address for the printer should be listed on that page, as four number separated by periods.

Let me know when you have found it, please, if you are ready to carry out more instructions for using it to add your networked HP printer again.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

(post made by mistake, my apologies.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mmmmm....IP Wired summary: IP address not applicable. Hostname HPB29400 MAC: 2c768ab 29400 Wireelss summary: Hostname MAC 2c768ab5cd54 SSID 3 MobileWiFi-ED2D ( This may be one problem as I recently changed my broadband provider so 3 MobileWiFi-ED2D is no longer correct. New provider is TNCAPA386DD. Have just spent ten frustrating minutes trying to enter that onto the HP tiny touchpad. I can't move the router near the printer as there is no phone line in this room and printer too bulky to move to the other room. Sorry for inconvenience an delay....
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

None of that information is useful. (Apologies: I mean none of that is an IP Address... it is useful to know, though.)

Your printer is not connected to the network, it sounds like. "IP Address not applicable" certainly implies that.

That would explain why it isn't printing. (You last used it two weeks ago. I presume the broadband provider was switched in that interval?)

You need to re-connect it to the network. The new network that is. Try having it scan for networks, then choose the TNCAPA[etc.] one from the choices found... that would be easier than typing that long network name in.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

(pardon me - posting made by mistake by a system error.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, have not been able to do anything further as am travelling away and now not back at desk/computer/printer until the end of the month. I will try re-cnnecting to the network then and hope this is the issue...it ( HP) has been such a successful printer I am reluctant to even consider getting a newer one...thanks for assistance.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Right. Vacations are always good in July and August (except maybe in Argentina.)

Do you wish to close the case now, or just come back to it after vacation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is OK with you I would like to make contact again after 01 August - hopefully to say that I have the printer working - and as I am flying first thing tomorrow have no time to look at the issue right now.Thanks.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That's fine. Enjoy your trip. Thank you for checking with me about this, I appreciate it.