Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

We're printing from a Win7 Pro laptop, over a home/office

Customer Question

We're printing from a Win7 Pro laptop, over a home/office network, to a Dell C1765NFW Color MFP.
Printer is switch off overnight, laptop put to Sleep. Next day, the connection doesn't function, and we have to go through the Add Printer routine on the laptop. It's quite simple, and the drivers are memorised, but it's a hassle to have to do this each day. The name of the printer changers - Copy 5, Copy 6 etc.
How do I 'lock in' this printer to the laptop (and another on the network).
Category: Computer
Expert:  s_feehan replied 4 months ago.

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I hope I can help. I'm curious to know more about the network architecture in which the printer and workstations are in... Are you in a domain environment or not? If you're unsure, let me know and I can guide you to find this information out. As of now, it seems like that you ARE, and that making these local changes are overridden by the domain's GPO (Group Policy Object)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your reply. I have to admit I'm not sure what a domain environment is.

We have a fibre broadband connection to a modem/router, and a simple ethernet circuit is plugged into the back of the router. There are 2 WiFi repeaters (TP-Link 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router) at remote points on the network to provide additional WiFi.

There are one or two ethernet switches to feed 2 desktops, but, in general we use one PC desktop (hard-connection), 2 laptops (both Win7 Pro) using WiFi, and various iDevices using the WiFi as well, plus a Dell Printer (see above).

I hope that helps.

Expert:  s_feehan replied 4 months ago.

Is the printer connected wirelessly or wired? And is the computer you're trying to connect the printer to permanently on wired or wireless? Any devices wirelessly connected, can you tell me if they're on the SAME access point as the others? Repeated AP's should still carry the same data to the main router ... but want to make sure I have the environment assured...

On one of the PC's that this keeps happening with , can you hit the start menu, right click computer, hit properties and tell me what it says for Domain near computer name?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

For some reason, printer is wireless, but could be wired. The main laptop being used to connect is normally wireless, but presently wired to test fibre broadband speed. It would be inconvenient to have it wired permanently..

They're different access points.

Properties show Computer Name, Full Computer Name and Workgroup. Computer Description is blank. Domain is mentioned in the title of that section, but Domain not named (?).

Expert:  s_feehan replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the extremely long delay in getting back to you. If we can get the printer wired without inconveniencing you and your network, I'd like that.. It's always best to use wired when feasible and not inconveniencing for performance, speed, and reliability concerns.

After we get the printer directly connected, under the settings menu for that printer which you may have to refer to the manual on exactly how to get there, print a report of the printer status and see what IPv4 address is assigned to the printer, I'd like to then go to one of the workstations and go to Start > Run > CMD > and type ping ipnumber see if it can bounce to it... if it DOES... let's remove ALL traces of that printer within the Printers menu and add that printer MANUALLY. Let me know if you can get that or i can go through some more in depth steps to add manually.... then test and see if it holds then.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your reply. I'll work on what you suggested, and report back.

Expert:  s_feehan replied 4 months ago.

Awesome, looking forward to hearing back from you.