Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have had my sonos system years. I have not changed my WiFi

Customer Question

I have had my sonos system for 4 years. I have not changed my WiFi and my password ***** ***** the same. I have two speakers in my kitchen and one in my dinning room. All three are flashing red and I cannot connect my existing phone and my new phone. The device on the main bridge charms but then flashes red.
Nothing has changed and all was working until last week.
Kind regards,
Mrs Cassam
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you remove the power to your wifi router and your speakers

Wait 5 minutes, connect the power to the wifi router, wait 5 minutes, connect the power to the speakers and tell me if it is now functioning please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Richard - ok I have done as you requested. The dinning room speaker is red and the two kitchen speakers are green.
It is my phone that it won't connect with?Sorry I am not the best on these matters so bear with me please.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

ok, now whats the make and model of the phone?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GT - 18160. I have turned on my phone and pressed the app for Sonos. There is a red bar that says set up a new sonos system or underneath it says connect to an existing system?Do I need to press one of these ?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

ok, choose

connect to an existing system

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You are never going to believe this.....having done that it connected!!!! My friend and I followed all the steps on the phone last night and nothing happened.....however the speaker in the dinning room is still flashing? On my phone I can switch speakers, as you know, so do I need to something else?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Power off the kitchen speaker again, then power it on and try to connect to it

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I have turned off the speakers in the kitchen - when I go to rooms it does not show dinning room? it just shows kitchen twice? could this be the reason why it is flashing red in the dinning room?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

It can be as you may have changed the setup.

Rename the correct speaker to the dining room as you had it before, like when you first set it up

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how do I do that? I have gone into room settings on the phone and it just says Kitchen (L + ?)
Shall I switch the speakers back on in the kitchen?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

yes please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok the speakers are on and are green. The phone is saying no music in the kitchen? it was playing before when it connected?
How do I add rooms?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Select Manage or Settings > Add a Sonos Component then follow the prompts there

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have gone into that and it says Sonos App needs updating I have pressed the link "online update link" it has taken me to a gmail account where I have pressed settings....I have pressed update app and it gives 3 options - do not auto-update, auto-update apps at anytime data charge and then auto update apps over Wi-Fi only?Please bear with me...
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

choose auto update apps over Wi-Fi please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pressed that but has taken me back to settings......
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

ok, now use manage to add the speaker please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry but I cannot do that....the phone just says kitchen + kitchen and won't allow me to add anything?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

ok... so which one are you missing?

Try playing to them

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I press add a player or sub - it takes me to sonos app needs updating - I have pressed the online update link and it takes me to my gmail account....I have gone again into settings - auto update apps - the green circle already indicates auto update apps over wifi - I have pressed that again - it then says check your connection and try again - I press retry and it just takes me back to the gmail options? I don't suppose you can do phone remote?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

no I cannot

But hold the power button on the phone until the menu shows and choose restart

Then restart and try again please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it says flight mode, data network mode, or silent or power off - assume I shut down and start again?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

yes please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok I have shut it down....will restart in a moment.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have done the same thing and it says no connection.....I am giving up the will here as I don't know what else to do. I had music earlier and now nothing. I will try what you suggest. Thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Can you go to settings, applications manager, then select the Sonos app and select uninstall

Then restart the phone and install it again and tell me if it now works please