Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

Today I tried to download Windows 10 on my Acer Iconia Tab 8

Hello, today I tried to download Windows 10 on my Acer Iconia Tab 8 W, which has Win 8.1 on it currently. However I am 14 GB short of the memory space required to do this. So I put a scan disk 32 GB micro memory card in with the intention of moving my data over to it in order to free up some space for the Win 10 update. This was fine as a screen came up showing the scan disk logo. However, now For some reason my keyboard will not work to allow me to login to my tablet. Any ideas as to what I can do now?? Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sue,

Please plug in your tablet and while it is plugged in, hold down the Power button for 15-20 seconds and release. The tablet should restart and after the restart, try using the keyboard again.

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already tried this several times including switching off for about an hour and then trying again. No luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried removing the memory card then holding down the power button as described above?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In fact, it is not in the tablet currently.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
  • Power off the tablet.
  • Press and hold the Volume up button, which is located closest to the touch screen lock switch.
  • With the Volume up button held, press and hold the Power button for 3 seconds then release it. Continue holding the Volume up button.
  • Once the tablet screen turns on, release the Volume up button.

Do you get to a boot menu?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not as such. I have a screen titled '5.0 SetupUtility'. Which appears to tell me about the tablet. However, it also contains these headings .... information, main, security, boot and exit.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

What options are under Boot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Secure boot: enable/disable secure boot check [enabled]
1. USB HAD
2. Windows Boot Manager
3. NETWORK BOOT -IPV4:
4. USB CDROM:
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Exit and see if the tablet will restart properly now

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pressed 'exit'. However, more options are hi-lit. 1. Exit saving changes. 2. Exit discard changes. 3. Load setup defaults.
Which option do I take?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Try option 1

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New option appears. Save configuration changes and exit now. Y or N.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like it is re-booting. No luck. My home page arrives, I swipe upwards to reveal login screen .... no key pad even when tapping on the password *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After about 1 minute screen returns to home screen.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

How old is the tablet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A year.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Over or under 1 year?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just under I bought it last Aug. 2015
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not think that it even downloaded 10??
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

It does not seem like it.

The good news is that your tablet is still under warranty and it appears to be experiencing hardware failure if it is not pulling up the on-screen keyboard. Please call Acer warranty support at 1-***-***-****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you linked into the tablet??
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what you mean by linking into the tablet? It is not possible to do a remote session into the tablet. Please take a look at my previous reply

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pressed the remote link option ... I just wondered if you had gone into the tablet. Which previous reply are you referring to?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Here is the reply:

It does not seem like it. The good news is that your tablet is still under warranty and it appears to be experiencing hardware failure if it is not pulling up the on-screen keyboard. Please call Acer warranty support at 1-***-***-**** If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are saying that you do not know what is wrong with it other than 'hardware failure?' ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello .... are you still there??
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Sue,

Your tablet is having a hardware failure and it is covered under your warranty. I am not sure what you meant by "don't know what is wrong with it"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The number you gave for the warranty support is it an English based number?? I do not recognise the format of it? Is it a USA based number?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

My apologies, Sue. I did give you a US based number.

Here is a UK based number: 0371(###) ###-####/strong>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Josh. That 'is' a format that I can recognise! Thanks for your help so far but I do feel that 'hardware failure' is somewhat of a generalised answer and has 'often' been used by others as a cop out for 'don't know!' However, I do appreciate your efforts even though the problem has not been found and sorted out. S.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Sue,

I understand where you are coming from but I had you perform a couple of tasks to determine it was a hardware failure and since I am not in front of the tablet, it would be impossible to determine the exact hardware failure.