John
John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
50152684

I have had a call from someone saying they are from the

Customer Question

I have had a call from someone saying they are from the windows support team and they have called me as my computer is reporting problems to them. they say that my CLDS number has been compromised and they used the windows sign and r to show me a screen with all the problems.
Does this happen?
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer. my name is***** will be assisting you today.

Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

Did you give the caller access to your computer?

Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

This is a scam call to either gain access to your PC then collect the login details by installing key loggers etc. This type of scamming will also be used to sell services and applications too. I know you are confused no worries I will explain. What he is trying is to make you believe that your PC have some kind of serious errors and security threats. Once they had convinced you he will ask you to open a specific program and so that he can access the PC. Once he have access to your PC he will run some applications that shows a lot of fake errors and security threats in your PC. Then will tell you pay for the application so that he can fix the issues. To be honest applications like these will do more harm than good and sometimes system ends up crashing.

Please do not provide access to your PC unless the tech is from a company you contacted also make sure that company you contacted is genuine by checking multiple reviews.
Do not give any kind of your personal or bank details to the person who contacted you.
Collect as much details from the person who contacted you like phone number to contact those, Name of the company and the person who contacted you, office address etc. Most likely they won’t provide much details. You can use these details to file a complaint in the local police station also you can report it on the following sites http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0076-phone-scams
http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ You can find more about such scams in this link : - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

I hope you are clear now if not please let me know.
if you do not have any further questions please rate positively using the options just below this reply box or above this page select the rating and click on submit that will do it. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/
Sincerely,
John

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately i dod givexaccess and it is ad you said. I cannot now open the computer as i need a pass word. What is best for me to do.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do have a phone number
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

You mean password ***** login to windows ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
To even get windows to start up. They said my clds code was comprimised the key for the program so i can only access the computers via the c: area
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

I am not sure what they meant by clds code.

Are currently chatting to me from another PC/device?

I have to now leave for 15 to 25 min but we can continue this after 25 min Is that OK with you?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am my phone. I do have a lap top as well
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
say in 30mins
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

Sure no problem will be back in 30 min.

Thank you very much.

John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi .i have had to go out but can o contact you perhaps later. I think i need to take my computer to an expert to deal with first hand. Many thanks
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

I am back now and just saw your reply.If you want we can continue now.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok yes i can not start the computer but can get to something via f8
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

Are you in safe mode now?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No i am in something where i can re start or go to advanced which i have done
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

OK in that advanced boot menu can you see safe mode with command option?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
am there now
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

OK good what will do is will restore to previous settings before the scam caller accessed your system.Lets see if that fixes the issue

Do you have command prompt open in front of the screen ( a black window which has C:\windows\....)?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No it says x:\windows\system32
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Now i do
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

Yes that is the one in that type rstrui and press enter that will open system restore window click next it will show a restore date select that restore date were the PC was working fine. If the required restore date is not listed then select Choose a different restore point on the bottom of the system restore window. Now select the desired restore date.Then click on next and continue with the system restore process

During the process the system will restart after that see if you can login to windows in normal way

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have done that and it is restring to the 20th july
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

OK let it finish and see how it goes

Let me know the result.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How long can ot take
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

Usually it will take 5 min or max 10 min but in your case i am not sure because we do not know what all damage the scam caller did on the PC.

Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

What is the make and model of the PC?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh drat. I have to go out now as wife is at station. Sorry will get back. Later it will be an hour or two. Sorry. Thaks though will be in touch when i get back. Can i kust get you through here. If need be can you get acces to my computer from the safe bit. May be best that way. Let me know and i will pay extra. You are a star.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

OH OK then please go on,make sure the PC is plugged in so that it wont go out of battery charge while restoring . I am not sure i will be here after 2 hours because its 10:30 PM over here now sow it will 12:30 but i will try to stick on until you come back.Let the PC run the system restore.

Note: - Please bookmark this page, use that bookmark to open this page In case that doesn't work. Then you can get back to this page using the email send by just answer to your email address regarding this question. There is view answer option in the email click on that and you can open this page. You can also use the welcome email from justanswer to open this page too there is a check my answer option in it to open this page. That email also has you justanswer user name and password ***** login.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will get back to you tomorrow ok as could be later. Will book mark as you said.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

Are you still at the station or home?

Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

Sure we can continue tomorrow.

John

Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

Its John again were you able to complete system restore successfully yesterday,if so did it fix the issue?

Sincerely,

John

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi John.
In a way it worked but for spme reason it also took out all the apps that had been downloaded when i got the computer. I have got it working and am loading up my office apps and outlook that went but my frontpage 2003 wonnt load as ot needs a program. I am at work now so cant do anything until later. Will contact you perhaps later.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the update and glad to know that at least you got back to window.Usually system restore wont remove any apps that are installed that old because system restore only restore the setting to the date you selected.There is possibility for apps not to function that are installed just before the problem started.I have a medical emergency going on now so i cannot say when i will be back online today or tomorrow but please do know the status of frontpage 2003 and if needed i will check it when i am back.

Once again i really appreciate for letting me know the status.

Sincerely,

John