cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst
Experience:  I have a BA in CIT with over 14 years experience.
20109878

Please help. Just lost a numbers file on my mac. Has

Customer Question

Please help. Just lost a numbers file on my mac. Has disappeared completely. I have been using this file for a while and worked on it for 6 hrs this morning. It would not save, saying it did not recognise the file source. Impossible of course. The whole thing would not even shut down. I then tried 'reduce file size' to see if it would help. It then closed and is not traceable, even in its previous form. I have a back up through apple time machine (which is a complete mystery to me on how to work it) but I would rather try to retrieve the current file to see if the work has saved.
Please help, thank you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. I regret having mis-posted to the wrong case, have Opted Out of the case, and thank you for your patience.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 11 months ago.

Did you try this on your Mac:

Press Command-Space to open Spotlight

Enter the name of the file you are looking for and it should show up.

Hold down the Command key on your mac keyboard to view the path directory. Click a file while holding down Command to open Finder at that your file's location.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 11 months ago.

Also to go through the time machine to get your file back go to the link below (it is posted by apple):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Basically it is telling you to go to your time machine on your mac, then click restore. It will restore everything you have lost since your last backup.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Spotlight didn't work - file has completely disappeared. Will obviously be resorting to time machine but not ideal. Had to spend another 6 hours doing work yesterday as file not retrieved, but still critical document that I need for previous two year's worth of info.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry about that and yes getting a good backup for time machine will take some time. If spotlight didn't work for you, you will have to use time machine to get a good copy back.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 11 months ago.

Good morning, I am just checking to see if the everything went well with the time machine to find your file?

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning, just wanted to know if you need more assistance?

If not please RATE 4 stars or above so that I might close the ticket. Have a great day.