Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

If I need to transfer a domain name from one provider to

If I need to transfer a domain name from one provider to another, what do I need to do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.

Hi Richard,

Which provider is it coming from and which one is it going to?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Network Solutions are the current provider, and are asking for a renewal at a crazy price.

Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.

There are 3 processes for preparing a Domain Name for transfer:

· Turning off Transfer Lock and Requesting your Authorization Code

· Deactivating Private Registration, if you purchased it, for the Domain Name

· Making sure that the WHOIS Administrative Contact e-mail address is correct

1) To turn off Domain Protect and request your Authorization Code

a) Go to www.networksolutions.com and click on MANAGE ACCOUNT

b) Enter the User ID and Password ***** your Network Solutions Account.

c) Click on My Domain Names under the My Products and Services tab.

d) If you have only one domain name, continue to the next step, if you have multiple Domain Names, click Manage to the right of the domain name you are making the changes for.

e) In the DETAILS section, click Turn Off or Request Authorization Code in the Transfer Lock row.

f) On the next page, you can choose to renew for the special renewal rate by clicking RENEW NOW or click CONTINUE TRANSFER

g) Check the box that you acknowledge the warning and click CONTINUE TRANSFER

h) Choose the options from the drop-down menus and click REQUEST AUTHORIZATION CODE

i) On the next page, mark the circle next to Leave Domain Transfer Lock Off, Check the box for Request Authorization Code*, then click Save.

The Domain Name is ***** ***** in your Account Manager, it may take up to 24 hours for the update to show throughout the internet. Your Authorization Code will be e-mailed to the Primary Contact in 3 days.

*Authorization Codes are not required for .bz, .cc,.gd, .im, .tc, .tel, .tv, .vg, and .ws extensions.

2) To turn off Private Registration (if it has been purchased for the Domain Name)

a) Go to www.networksolutions.com and click on MANAGE ACCOUNT.

b) Enter the User ID and Password ***** your Network Solutions Account Manager.

e) In the DETAILS section, click Turn Private Registration Off in the Registration - Private Registration Status row

f) Select the radio button for Turn Private Registration Off, click GO.

The Private Registration has been deactivated. It may take anywhere up to 24 hours for the update to show throughout the internet.

3) Confirm that the WHOIS Administrative Contact e-mail is correct for the Domain Name

a) You can look up the WHOIS information for the Domain Name here.

b) If the WHOIS information is not correct, please follow the link below for instructions on updating the WHOIS information:

http://www.networksolutions.com/support/how-to-view-or-update-whois-contacts/

4) Confirm that the Primary Contact (Registrant) email is correct for the Domain Name

a) You can verify the Primary Contact email address by logging into your Network Solutions account

b) The current Primary Contact email address will be listed under the User Profile

c) If the information is incorrect, click on the "edit User Profile" button to modify the email address

Once you have followed these steps, the transfer can be initiated with the gaining registrar. An e-mail will be sent by the gaining registrar to the WHOIS Administrative Contact with instructions on approving the transfer. Once you have approved the transfer, it takes between 5 and 7 days for the transfer to complete. During this time, there can be no changes made to the Domain Name, including DNS server changes. If you need to change your DNS servers, please make sure the changes are in effect prior to approving the transfer through the gaining registrar.

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.