Bryan
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

On 29/07/16 I tried to upgrade my Dell INSPIRON N5010,

On 29/07/16 I tried to upgrade my Dell INSPIRON N5010, running MS 7 to MS 10.
By 10.00 pm the installation showed 96% complete. About two hours later this had reached 99% complete. The machine has not been switched off but still shows 99% complete.
Can I do anything about this?
Harry Price
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

This has been an issue acknowledged by Microsoft - it has to do with the huge number of users getting the Windows 10 upgrade right before the free period expired, clogging up the Microsoft updates' servers in the process. Please rest assured, two hours is not at all a significantly long time for it to get stuck at 99%; some users have reported it taking upto 10 hours to get from 99% to 100%. However, the upgrade will be completed all right - just leave it running overnight. If you do hard reboot your computer instead, it will roll back all of the changes and take you back to Windows 7.

If the upgrade is still stuck at this point after 12 hours or so, you just need to reply back to me on this page (you can get back to it anytime later on through your emails), and we will troubleshoot further; I'm 100% positive that the upgrade will be completed successfully by then, however.

If you need more help, please use the Reply box below to continue our conversation.

And, kindly take a moment to rate my service by clicking on (and submit) one of the five stars at the top of this page - this is the only way that I'll be credited for assisting you today. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is now August 1 and my laptop still shows 99% complete.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

PS: Please do NOT accept any remote assistance offer if it shows up on this page at any time; it's sent out automatically by our site, and not by me. We do not need to do a remote session for your issue; I'll reply back to you below now.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Ah, I see - you started the upgrade on 29/7. Please do this now:

Press and HOLD down the Power button on the laptop for atleast 30 seconds (even after the screen has turned off), and then release the button.

Next, press the Power button one more time to turn the laptop back on - what shows up now?

Do let me know.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Do update me on the issue when you can; thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the last 10 minutes or so I have a completely blank screen but there appears to be a lot of CPU activity.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, okay. Now, please hold down the Power button one more time for 30 seconds, and then release the button. Next, press the Power button once again and tap down the F8 key repeatedly at bootup this time. Does it bring up a different screen now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried this and now have the ADVANCED BOOT OPTIONS page.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

OK, do you see a "Safe Mode" option listed there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

OK, please select that option and press ENTER twice. Are you able to boot into Windows 7 all right in this mode?

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done this and the machine has booted up and the WINDOWS HELP and SUPPORT window has started.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

OK, we will do a System Restore next, to roll your system back to a point before you started the Windows 10 upgrade. Please go to Start, type in system restore in the search field and press ENTER.

In the System Restore window, select "Choose a different restore point" (if listed) and click Next.

Next, TICK the "Show more restore points" checkbox (if listed) and then select a restore point dated BEFORE you started the Windows 10 upgrade. Click Next > Finish.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

The restore process will take some time to complete, after which your system will be rolled back to before the Windows 10 upgrade was started. Please let me know if you are able to boot up normally thereafter; I'll be here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
System booted up OK but two message screens came up
1 System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.
Unspecified error (0xc0000022)2 The program can't start because rtl20.bpl is missingfrom your computer.Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

That's all right; the first error is common when doing a System Restore and does not mean anything - the restore process did complete all right, and your system was rolled back to the point you selected (hence you were able to boot up normally now.)

Checking the second error now, just a moment.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

OK, looks like a buggy/corrupt program is installed on your system that's showing up this error at startup. Please go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > Uninstall a Program; do you see an Advanced System Care program listed?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

If you don't see that listed, please check if you have any IOBIT program listed as well. Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Advanced System Care 8 is listed.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

OK, please go ahead and uninstall it first, and then restart your system and let me know if errors show up at startup this time.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Coming to your system, it's very likely that it got stuck at the Windows 10 upgrade process for longer than usual because it's a relatively old processor and so was not able to handle the already existing server issues to upgrade to Windows 10.

However, Windows 7 should function just fine for you from now on; do keep me posted on the results after it restarts - I'll be here.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Otherwise, kindly take a moment to rate my service by clicking on (and submit) one of the five stars at the top of this page - this is the only way that I'll be credited for assisting you today. Thank you!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about the delay in answering but during the restart the windows update took over and took ages to complete. However the system booted up OK and the error message did not reappear. I am somewhat disappointed not to be able to upgrade to Windows 10, but thanks for your help.
Regards ***** *****
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all; thank you for getting back to me, and take care :)