Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

Humax T1000/G8 Not on USB because it will not shake hands

Humax T1000/G8
Not on USB because it will not shake hands with my router 5 meters away.
Somehow the machine has got stuck into the Maintenance Mode. Repeated efforts takes it through progressing maintenance then restarts with the basic HUMAX screen display before reverting to Maintenance Mode with the options to choose.
Any help before junking this HUMAX and writing rude things about it?
James
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi James,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Surely there is more than just 'Hi James'
Waiting hopefully,
James
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Incidentally this is not a computer question but is referring to TV programme recorder. There is no computer called a HUMAX.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for getting back to me and clarifying; you were offline when I responded yesterday.

The box can get stuck in maintenance mode if the hard disk is not detected.
Make sure the disc drive is running; if not, a careful short sharp shake of the box may free it.
If not, then it will need to be replaced.
Remember your Humax warranty is for two years as well.
Pete.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't think you can remotely connect to a HUMAX. I am firing the HUMAX up. It is temperamental at the best. But never got into Maintenance Mode before. Had it over 2 years. Will let you know if a sharp shake (or a gentle rap/kick) will do the trick.. Last time I had to do this was in 1969 on an ICL, which filled a basement room. I kicked the paper tape spooler it then worked.
James
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

You can ignore any automated offers for remote connection - they are sent by the site, not me.

Let me know if shaking it works :)
Pete.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Have tried shaking it dropping it and thumping it. Alas, to no avail.
It's off to the tip.
This particular HUMAX has been a pain from the start.
Thanks for trying to help.
I've still got an email gone to HUMAX help but no reply. Their after service stinks.
James
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Ok, let me know if I can be of any further assistance at all.

Pete.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tried a direct telephone line to HUMAX. Amazing, no wait. The guy said immediately: if the machine goes into looping Maintenance Mode, nothing can be done. He suggested a replacement model, which I have now ordered.
He did apologise for the poor endurance of this model. It must have been on the last 'Friday shift'. It is off to the local tip.
End of saga.
Sorry that there were no experts' advices like "just press the start three times and this breaks the loop" or whatever.
James
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

There are no button presses that will fix a faulty hard drive. Replacing the hard drive is probably more than the box is worth, given the amount of labour time it would take, so the most economical decision is usually to just trash the box. You could persevere and replace the hard drive yourself if you wanted to, however a replacement box is the easiest and most reliable option.

----------------

--------------------
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am credited for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need further assistance.
Pete.
--------------------

Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.