IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have a Canon MF8080Cw. The printer appears to be staying

Customer Question

I have a Canon MF8080Cw. The printer appears to be staying asleep - in order to print I have to switch the machine off and on to wake it up. Also the scanner link to my laptop has also lost it's link.
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

Please tell me if your Canon printer/scanner is connected to the router via Ethernet cable or wireless connection?

I am awaiting your reply.

Thanks,
IT Miro

Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,
IT Miro

Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

May I know if you still require assistance with the Canon printer/scanner?

Let me know,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi MiroSorry I thought I had sent a response to this already. Printer is connected wireless connection. I have sorted out the scanner problem by ticking the box in the set up. However, I have to switch the printer off and then back on to wake it up and then I can print/scan without problem. Once I stop for a time (say around 10 minutes) - printer goes back to sleep and I then have to switch it off/on again to do some more printing
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Hi again!

Sorry for not responding earlier - I was away from the computer for a few days.

I see the scanner problem has been solved. Regarding the sleep problem: please tell me when it first occurred? Also, does the printer go to sleep when you use it without a computer, for example when you want to copy a A4 document (paper)?

Thanks,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi MiroStarted a couple of months ago.Yes it does. Cannot copy scan or print without switching on and off. Stays awake whilst I am using continuously, eg scanning a range of different documents. Then, When I haven't used for 10 minutes or so it goes to sleep.Previously I used to press a button on the top right hand side if the printer and this would wake the machine up but it doesn't work now
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information!

I checked about this sleep mode problem and noticed that many people seem to be experiencing it with other Canon multi-functional printers as well. A solution to the problem quite surprised me - you need to change the wireless modem settings to work only on 20 MHz channel, rather than 40 MHz channel or Auto.

Check the discussion between several Canon users here:

http://tinyurl.com/zb6t56g

It is for model MF8380CDW, but it should work for your model as well.

This sleep problem must have started to occur for you when changing the wireless router, or when you switched from wired to wireless connection. The printer uses different energy saving mode depending on how it is connected to the network.

Based on the printer specifications available on this link:

http://tinyurl.com/hhffb88

the printer consumes 23 Watts in standby mode, 1.4 Watts when in energy saving mode connected using wired connection and 2.2 Watts when in energy saving mode connected using wireless connection.

So, if you disconnected the printer from the wireless connection and switch it back to the wired connection, the sleep mode problem should be solved automatically. In order to continue using the printer on wireless connection, you will need to access your wireless modem settings and change the wireless network settings to work only on 20 MHz channel. In case you don't know how to do that, please type your wireless modem make and model and I will provide the instructions for you.

Best regards,

IT Miro

Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Hello again!

Several days have passed since we last communicated, and you haven't replied to me, so I am wondering if you still require assistance with the printer issue? Were you able to follow the instructions I sent you?

Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,
IT Miro

Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your response. I shall look into your suggestions when I have downloaded the instructions.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Hello again! Thanks for replying back.

Take your time and let me know the results. In case you encounter a problem, let me know and I will assist you further.

Regards,

IT Miro

Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Hello! How is it going?

May I know if you have already followed my instructions? If so, did it help solve the problem?

Let me know,

IT Miro

Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.

Hello!