Jason Jones
Jason Jones, Computer Expert
Experience:  Over 10 years of professional experience.
30759776

I want to connect a laptop usb 3 port converter to HDMI or

Customer Question

Hi i want to connect a laptop usb 3 port converter to HDMI or Display port on the monitor without having to upload any software, all I can find at the moment are converters that has to have software downloaded.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

May I ask why you are against adding the required software for the converters? As it stands, you must install the software.

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - yes because it is a work laptop and they will not allow any software to be added
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it possible to get a display port splitter that will let me extend across two monitors

No, that is not possible. Every usb converter out there requires software to be installed.

Would it be possible to simply ask your IT team at work to install the software?

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it is a bank and they do not install bespoke software I have checked that already. What about a display port splitter?

What kind of 'disply port splitter' are you referring to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought you would be able to tell me what would be the best one to use?

I first need to know which type of display port splitter you are referring to. What is the brand and model name of the computer in question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - I am not sure on the display port splitter - that is what I need the advice on. The lap top I have is an HP Elite Book model 820.The splitter I need needs to work without software to be installed.Thanks

Thank you for the update. Since you have a VGA port on the side of your laptop, you can use the following device, which will convert the video to the HDMI port: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Converter-Support-Adapter-SY-ADA31025/dp/B006FILNV6

If you need any help in the future, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already tried using a VGA to HDMI converter but the text is all blurred around the outside and the resolution is not good. Thats why I am trying to use a usb as it is digital and not analogue. Does the one on amazon you suggest convert with clear resolution? Also back to the display port splitter can you suggest one that works without software? thanks

That is because you don't have the correct resolution set for the VGA port.

What is the resolution set to?

- Hold down both the Windows key and the letter R at the same time.

- In the window that comes up, type: desk.cpL

- Choose the external vga port as the monitor.

- Change the resolution to a higher value and click Apply.

Did that help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - I did that but it has not helped. Can you suggest the correct Display port splitter that will work extended across two screens please. thanks

Thank you for the update. Changing the resolution should have changed it. May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote session begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have managed to find a do splitter thanks

You are very welcome. Thank you.

In the future, if you wish to work with me, ***** *****, you may ask your question at the following page that you may bookmark/favorite, if you wish. To be sure that it is sent to me, preface the question with "For ***** ***** Only!"

My Profile page:
http://JasonFixedit.com

Is there anything else I can help you with today? If so, please let me know. If that is all for now, please do not forget to rate my help on top of this page.
Jason