Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

Videos say device reboot required or license error on kindle

Customer Question

Videos say device reboot required or license error on kindle fire tablet.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How old is your Kindle Fire tablet, please?

If it has not been updated since March of this year or esp. if it has not been updated since before March of this year, please let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
third generation fire tablet not updated since March this year due to ill health

OK. There is some hope for the case: I presume you have tried to connect it to the internet or WiFi at least, and have tried for an update, and the connection failed or the like.

The reason for this is, last March, there was an important update - a sort of not-to-be-missed update - for older Kindle tablets.

Without that update, the Kindles in question become unable to access WiFi/internet. So, they cannot be updated further without that update. (Nor are they useful in many ways otherwise.)

This can be repaired. You will need a computer with an internet connection, and a cable to connect the Kindle to the computer. Good so far?

If so, let me know whether it is a Windows PC or an Apple computer, and I will advise you further.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Windows 10 computer

OK, good.

I am preparing your answer... hold on for a few more minutes, please...

Please tell me if your Kindle has a keyboard of little keys on it.

Also please tell me, if you can, what your Kindle's current software version is. Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the kindle does have a keyboard on it the current software is Is 4.5.5.1

OK then. Can you try this update procedure?:

1. Plug your Kindle in to charge during the update.
  2. Connect your Kindle to Wi-Fi. The update should download and begin automatically, even if your Kindle is in sleep mode.
  3. Leave your Kindle connected to both power and Wi-Fi until the update is complete.

Does that work for you? or if it stops somewhere, where does it stop (step 1, step 2, or step 3), and with exactly, and in full, What error message at that point, please?