Lorenz Vauck
Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert
Experience:  17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)
78122054

I am unable to find my ip address for my officejet 6600

Customer Question

Hi I am unable to find my ip address for my officejet 6600 pronter
Category: Computer
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 11 months ago.

Dear Client,

thank you very much for your question. My name is***** and I´d be happy to help you.

Can you please let me know if you are setting up your printer for the first time in your network or have you used it before and it isn´t working anymore now?

Thank you very much and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I installed it with a previous pc but now have a new one
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did you get that?

Thank you. Have you already installed the appropriate drivers for the printer on your new computer?

Yes, I´ve got both of your messages.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
not sure what you mean I just set up my new pc and hoped that the wireless on the printer would pick it up

You do need a driver. Please give me a few minutes and I will sort out the driver that you need to install on your PC for your printer to work again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok

Thank you:)

Just to make sure in advance: your new PC has a WIFI connection which is working already and the printer is also turned on and can be used by other computers in the network (e.g. is connected to your WIFI as well) ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The printer is switched on and on it it shows wireless direct on.

That´s great to hear. Is your new PC on Windows 10 or Windows 8?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My pc does have wifi
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
windows 10

OK, I am looking into this. The problem is (again unfortunately) that there are no official drivers for Windows 10 for your printer. I guess you had Windows 8 or 7 on the previous PC where it worked just fine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thats fine
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it worked perfectly.

Ok, please download this file:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL41850/mp-108845-4/OJ6600_1315-1.exe

... save it on your hard drive and then execute it by doubleclicking on the .EXE. Then follow the instructions. This should install your printer just fine again hopefully.

Should it not work, please just reply to this message and we will look into this further to fix the problem. If it worked and you are happy with my service, please leave a rating with 3 to 5 stars so that I can get honored for my work, because only then JustAnswer pays me as an independent expert.

Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
which one/It has asked me if I want to connect to a new printer or software

You want to connect to a new printer. If this doesn´t work, then try the other option please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's now asking for the ip address

Is there an option to automatically scan for this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No

OK. Do you use the printer from other computers in your network as well and can you power-up one of these computers? We can use them to find the IP address.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I don't

OK, we do it different then. Please have a look at this video, at the very start of the video, until 00:23, they show how you can see the IP address of your OfficeJet at the on-screen display:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrjKs2zMHXk

The one you see there is the one you will have to enter for the driver installation on your PC.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not very clear I'm afraid and too hard to follow.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can hardly read anything

It´s rather easy:

1) Press the right arrow on the right side of the screen

2) Click on "Setup"

3) Click on "Network"

4) Click on "Network Summary"

This will then show you the IP address.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It hasn't come up with an ip address but a hostname and number. Is that it?

OK, please tell me what they are, then I can tell you if that is what we need.

If the number is ***** the format XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, then this is it.

So for example: 192.168.1.20 (you´ll have to use your one that the printer shows you)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HP07564E

What does it show for hostname?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When i put that number in it asks if that is the correct number.Hostname is HP07654E

Yes, that is the wrong number. Are you in the "Network Summary" section on your printer-on-screen-display?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry it's HP07564E

yes, that´s no problem, but that isn´t the IP address. You must make sure that you really are on the "Network Summary" tab of your printer-on-screen-display.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The only item with the word "summary" in it is "view wireless summary"

Please use this one and tell me what it shows.

Or is this the one you´ve been in already?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Which one. nothing there

If you click on "view wireless summary", what does it show then at the on-screen-display of the printer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It comes up with the hostname I gave you

Would you mind if I do a remote-assistance on your PC to help further with that directly on your PC?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok

Ok; I am sending you an offer for that and will give you the instructions how to start the connection once you´ve accepted the offer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hold on. I have said no , just want to check is that an additional £24

Oh sorry, above you said "yes ok". It should be around that, yes, since it is an extra effort. I think it´s our best option though right now since we don´t seem to get anywhere and I´d like to help directly on your PC to fix this problem, find the IP and install the driver. However, you do not have to accept it, I just thought it would be a good solution for you before you have to spend more time on this problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No you are already taking £28 have not resolved my problem and now want a further £24?

I have not taken anything Sir, we are independent experts and Justanswer has just imparted us to each other. I only get paid once we´ve resolved the problem and you are satisfied.

Meanwhile JustAnswer keeps your funds and only releases a part of them to me when you are happy in the end. I am an independent computer expert from Germany actually and am not employed by JustAnswer or anything.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I'm not prepared to pay another £24. At this rate I might as well buy another printer. Can you resolve my problem without this extra cost?

Yes, that´s what I am trying to do for the last hour, I really want to fix it for you and we can continue to do that via text only too if you are not interested in the extra offer, but your printer does not seem to be connected to your network since the "view wireless summary" is not showing any IP address. Is the blue light steadily turned on at your printer? If not, it means the printer is not connected to the network.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the blue light is flashing

Oh OK, that means it has no connection to your network. Only when it it is on steadily blue (without the flashing), it has connected to your network.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how do I connect it?

I recommend that you reset the network defaults to factory settings on the printer.

To reset the network defaults

-touch Setup Menu

-touch Network

-touch Restore Network Defaults

Then use the Wireless Setup Wizard to connect the printer to the network.

To run wireless setup

-touch Setup

-touch Network

-touch Wireless Setup Wizard

follow the on screen instructions to set the printer up on the network. You will need the WPA password ***** security key for the router to do this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Look I know you are trying to help me and i appreciate that. It's very late here now, need to go to bed. Is there a way i can continue this tomorrow?

Yes, we can continue the conversation later on of course. However, I am not here today (Thursday), I am back on Saturday 6 in the evening. Is this acceptable for you? I might also have the chance to look at it on Friday at around 6 pm. Basically you just need to reply if it worked or not and I will send you a reply as quick as I can.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Had a quick look at my printer, it does not have "restore network defaults"

For now please just follow the steps I´ve outlined above to setup the printer onto your network. If this worked, the blue light must not be flashing anymore, only then it has connected correctly. Then you can go to the "view wireless summary" again and it should show an IP address, which you then enter into the driver installation on your PC and that should make it work again.

Can you tell me what else it shows in the "Network" menu? Something in the lines of resetting the configuration?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sorry it does

OK, then just follow the steps I´ve outlined above to setup the printer onto your network. If this worked, the blue light must not be flashing anymore, only then it has connected correctly. Then you can go to the "view wireless summary" again and it should show an IP address, which you then enter into the driver installation on your PC and that should make it work again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hang on trying to connect

Yes :)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It now says the printer was unable to be installed over the network

One moment please....

Do you have an extra WIFI router or do you connect it to the WIFI of your PC?

Because this printer offers both options. Which one have you been using previously on the old PC?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do have an extra router

And the blue light is still flashing I guess?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a new router with bt which came bt infinity ie faster broadband speed

OK, but is the blue light still flashing now?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The printer was used with an old router, but why would that make such a difference?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No the light is constant

OH! Constant blue? That is a good sign already:) Can you now again please go to that WIFI summary page in the network settings of the printer and see if it shows an IP address now?

Oh believe me, any change in ANY computer component can make a huge difference, otherwise we wouldn´t have any more work to do:)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have done that already. It now shows a slightly different hostname ie HP7564EW. No ip address
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry sorry it does

oh!

OK, put that one into the driver installation setup on your PC.

How does the IP look? Can you show me? Just want to make sure.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But when trying to connect the ip address is there and it still won't let it connect
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
IP.192.168.1.71

OK, but this sounds absolutely right. Can you please close the installation program of the driver and restart it again?

It might just need the restarting of the setup of the driver and might see it on it´s own then. If not, please enter that IP again when you are asked for it. Also make sure that any kind of firewall-software you might have on your PC is turned off, it might otherwise block the connection.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How does one one do that since its already installed

OK, I´ll have a look now at your PC if you agree, at no extra costs. OK?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You sure?

Please download:

http://download.anydesk.com/AnyDesk.exe

Start the .EXE and tell the 9 digits number it will show you in the window that opens up.

Yes, it´s OK, I want this to work for you. As long as you promise to leave at least a 3 star-rating in the end, I will do it for free now, wouldn´t want to leave you alone with the trouble now that we are on it that long already.

Just the 9 digits number is ***** I´ll need.

Does it work?

Just let me know when you need additional help. Basically you can just try to restart your PC, then try to install the driver again with the IP you see on your printer.

I would be happy if you´d leave a 3 to 5 start rating for me too so that I can get paid for my work for you.

Thank you so much and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Dear Client,

I hope you are doing fine and see that you´ve read my answer. Can you please let me know how you´d like to continue? Where you able to get the printer to work again? If not, please reply again and I will help you further as promised. If I was able to help, please leave a 3 to 5 stars rating for me so that I can be paid for my 2 hours work by JustAnswer. Because if you don´t rate or rate below 3 stars, I will not receive anything for my work I have done with you.

Thank you very much and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi not sure where we are with this now. I am still unable to get my printer to accept the ip address.

Hi:) Don´t remember? I offered you a remote-assistance to do the final setup of the printer directly on your PC, at no extra costs, after you give me a 3 to 5 stars rating (the rating button should be at the top of your screen), so that I at least get paid for your the support I´ve done so far, if you agree. But you don´t have to pay anything extra as promised (as it would normally be the case) as long as you are OK with rating me with 3 to 5 stars now. Once you can do that, I will send you the instructions to start the remote-assistance and setup the printer for you directly over the internet, now that it is connected to the WIFI, I can surely do that for you.

Thank you very much and I look forward to finalize the setup with you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's not a problem but I didn't give you any rating my internet disconnected
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just to reiterate I am prepared to give you a maximum rating when you fix my problem
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well have waited over a hour and a half for your reply got to go to bed now. Once again disappointed with "Just Answer"

thanks a lot for your message. I offered you to do the remote-assistance, but just got a reply 25 minutes later from you, I had left the house meanwhile since I didn´t hear from you and it is Friday evening / night in Germany (just like in the UK) and I have a family. Would you like to do the remote-assistance now? I am in for another hour for now.

Please understand that the service of a remote-assistance is a extra paid service usually - you refused my offer, do you remember? Since I´ve already spent 2 hours on fixing the printers WIFI connection with you and we succeeded in doing this, I am offering it to you for free right now that I also install the rest directly on your PC, so that you don´t have to follow another lengthy text-chat. In return for that, I wanted you to give me 3 to 5 stars rating now so that I am sure that I get paid for the question and the previously done work, if I already don´t get paid the extra efforts of a remote-assistance.

I am sorry that you are disappointed by the hours of work I´ve already performed for you. Remember, we´ve got your printer back on the WIFI already, so I´ve already fixed a big part of your problem. Now just the last step remains in getting the printer connected to your PC.

I hope on your understanding with this and would be happy to start the remote-assistance once you´ve submitted a 3 to 5 stars rating for me. You have my guarantee that I will fix your problem 100% as promised and get your printer working on your PC again too.

Thank you very much,

Lorenz Vauck

I am available for the next 2 hours and then again from 6 pm to 9 pm this evening. It would be a pleasure for me to finalize the setup of your printer for you, we are so close now. Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi have just read your last message. You ask me to give you a rating which I have alreadyy stated I am more than pleased to do.Firstly where do i give this rating? Secondly the printer is still not accepting the ip address so what happens next?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just let me know when you are back on so that we can complete the task.

I hope you had a nice Saturday so far? You can easily give the rating at the top right of the screen above the question we both communicate in right now, there are 5 stars in total, if you can give me 3 to 5 stars that would be great and I can start the remote-assistance with you afterwards (I will send you the instructions too, it´s easy). I am available till 9pm today. Then again in the night from around 2am until 7am, in case you are still awake. Then again from 6pm on Sunday and then for the whole night until Sunday morning.

Also, please have a look here to see how the rating can be done (there is a picture showing it):

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Don´t worry about the IP address, I will fix that up for you via the remote-assistance of course and get your printer working again as promised.

Thank you very much,

Lorenz Vauck

Hello (what´s your name if I may ask),

thank you very much for accepting the answer and your additional bonus, that´s much appreciated. Since I am available only 20 more minutes from now, should we do the remote-assistance tonight? I remember from the last days that you seem to be awake at nights as well.

Please let me know and thank you very much,

Lorenz vauck

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Perfect, I will get back to you once I am back tonight. Around 2 or 3am hopefully. Otherwise we can also do it tomorrow 6pm or later. Have a good evening for now:)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Lets try tonight and see if we are both in.

Will do:) Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi you there?

Hi, I am here now for the next 5 hours. Just let me know and we get it started. Just download:

http://download.anydesk.com/AnyDesk.exe

Start the AnyDesk.exe and tell me the 9 digits number that it shows in the main-window of Anydesk. Then I can connect to your PC and we finish the installation of the printer!

Lorenz

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi here too
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nothing is coming up

let´s try via this link then please, just click it and follow the instructions to get the assistance started:

http://www.justanswer.de/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=25c0993f-8c1b-45f3-a542-40567921994f

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What language is that?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
German?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nothing happens when i press the downlaod

Hmm, are you sure it didn´t download the file on your harddisk already? Which browser are you using? There should be a "download list" somewhere in your browser, I am sure the file is there and was downloaded already.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok yes it's 969 071 918

I need elevated permissions, please just "allow" my request, there should be a window that asks you about that.

I am glad we were able to fix your problems and I thank again for your kind words:) You have my bookmark now if you ever need me again. All the best to you from Germany,

Lorenz Vauck