John
John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
50152684

My computer has been frozen by Microsoft, saying I have a

My computer has been frozen by Microsoft, saying I have a virus and need to phone them to rectify it. Error no. 268D3. I have to phone 0-***-***-****. I think this is a scam can you help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. Please give me a moment while I review your question.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

This is a scam to make you call on that number then will ask you to give them access to your PC then will tell you that they will fix the issue for a fee.Their is no virus its just a scam to trick you to buy their service.

When you say the system is frozen do you mean the webpage that is opened is frozen ?

Sincerely,
John

Note: - Please reply using the box below.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cannot close my computer off as the message is continually repeating itself.
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Are you currently chatting to me from the problematic PC?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No my phone
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cannot do anything on my laptop
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Which is the operating system installed in the PC.Is it Windows Vista, Windows 7, windows 8, Windows 10 ?

Did you call on that phone number and gave them access to your laptop?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Windows 7 but I think it has been updated to 10. I have not contacted them
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

OK

You cannot even move the mouse to the start menu and then click on shut down or restart?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cannot navigate anywhere I cannot remove the Microsoft page
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

please try the following

Press Windows key + R key see if that open a run box in the lower left corner

let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The box has come up
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What do I do next
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Type the following in it

shutdown /r /f /t 0 (the last 0 is zero) then press enter or click on OK see if that shut down the laptop and then restarts.

Let me know

Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

There is space between shutdown and /r and /f and /t and 0

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It has stopped the message and page currently restarting
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

OK let it restart then login and check it whether its showing that message again while you are opening web pages.

Let me know.

Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Is it still restarting or did you check it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I now have the computer back but it is not connecting to the Internet yet
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Is it connected using wired or wireless connection,if its wireless connection click on the wireless icon on the lower right of the screen (system tray) and then it will show your wireless connection listed in it click on it then click on connect if asks for wi-fi password ***** that.

let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I now have connection,do I just repeat the process if it happens again?
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Yes also to see if the system is secure i suggest you run a full scan on your anti-virus.

To check if the system is infected with malwares use this program http://www.malwarebytes.org/ then click on download. Install and update it then run a Threat scan. If it finds any threats select remove all. If it asks to restart please do so. that will do it.

Are you clear,Is there anything else you like to know ?

If you do not have any further questions please rate me using the rating options (stars) on the top of this page, select the rating and click on submit. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Sincerely,
John

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your help John, do I get further help in the future for the fee paid?
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

If you are talking about the free trial or subscription i am not sure of that i am just an expert who helps the customers fix their computer issues but you can find more about trial and subscription using the welcome email send by justanswer.

Sincerely,
John