Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have charged my kindle and now there is not a peep out of

Customer Question

I have charged my kindle and now there is not a peep out of it, no light, even when reconnected to the charger zilch
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.

Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.

Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did as you said and the light came on then the yellow light flashed a bit while my stuff was very slowly uploaded. The battery is only half charged even though it was plugged in over night
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, but this fault stopped it being charged, so nothing happened overnight, but it should now be charging.

Is will be ok now, just let it have a few hours to complete the charge Susan.

If you have any continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your help, can you give me n idea of how long the charge will take as there is usually a yellow light telling me it is happening and there is no light right now , but it is working. As I am travelling tomorrow I am anxious for the kindle to work.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Leave it for 2 hours and it will then be fully charges Susan.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
grand, thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have had the kindle on charge ever since I last wrote and the battery still seems to be the same,i.e. half full?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Ok, disconnect the charger, hold the power button for 60 seconds release, turn it on and tell me what the battery says as charge please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did that and the battery says half full as before
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, now connect the battery, does it show it as charging?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What I see is 'wi-fi and 2 dark bars and 3 empty ones' and a half full battery ;no lights or movement
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Can you try a different power socket to try to charge it please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did change sockets when I first contacted you as I thought there might be a problem upstairs, will move it again but rather doubt this is the issue?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

since our initial procedure and waiting 2 hours, did the battery increase charge at all?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not as far as I can tell; I have now connected the kindle to a fresh socket with a fresh cable and it connects fine but there is no indication that charging is occuring
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there a reset pin hole where I can go back to factory settings or something?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

that is the next step

Which model Kindle is it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is an early one with a small keyboard at the base and is not back lit don't know the model name
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, go to Go Menu/Settings/Menu/Reset to factory defaults

Once done, set it up again and tell me if it then charges please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Before I had the chance to take that advice I was distracted and it now appears that the kindle is charging... I hope. I shall leave it for a couple of hours more and will come back to you later if I am still stuck ( I trust not to have bother you again... ) thank you for the help.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Your welcome!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Alas its me again and the battery is still about the same, half full; I wonder if I use it as normal and run it until the battery is flat if it will then wake up and charge up properly. There is enough life in it for me to travel with it tomorrow and half a battery should (theoretically) be ample for a few days use . If I wont take a charge though I am stuck and not sure where to go from there?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

If it will not take a chard it would mean the battery or charging port has faulted.

How did it go?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
while I was travelling it was fine, but I have now used about 2/3 rds of the battery ;having just plugged it it to charge again it did light up (yellow) for a half minute, then started flashing and has now gone out again (the light I mean). I fear that you are correct that the charging port is faulty but don't know what to do about that?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Ok, it will be. How old is the Kindle?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is probably 6 or 7 years old by now not sure it is not back lit and has a neat key board at the base
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, the warranty will have expired, you will need to purchase a replacement sorry, though 6 years use is very good for these.