Lorenz Vauck
Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert
Experience:  17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)
78122054

Is it possible to print a file on a printer other than my

Customer Question

Is it possible to print a file on a printer other than my own - that is to say on a printer owned by someone else.
The printer I want to use is from the same manufacturer (HP) and the same series (ENVY).
GRB
Category: Computer
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 6 months ago.

Dear *****,

thank you very much for your question. My name is***** and I will try to help you as quick possible.

Yes, it is possible, but it depends how the printer is connected to your PC. Is it via USB or via WIFI and is physically located at your place or somewhere on the internet (at a friends laptop for example)?

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The printer at my end is connected by Wi-Fi.
I will need too enquire about the remote printer which is indeed somewhere else on the internet.
I will get back to you with the additional info - possibly tomorrow.
GRB

Dear *****,

yes, this is possible still, but both PCs need to be setup correctly for that. Do you have access to both PCs at the same time somehow? I can do a remote-assistance (login to both PCs at once) and set them up so that you can print from one PC on the other that is somewhere else on the internet. Some network setup is needed for that, but I am able to do that. This remote-assistance service would, however, come at additional costs for the extra service that is provided.

I can also guide you by text here at no additional costs if you want that, but it ´s a bit of a complicated procedure. You just let me know please.

Thank you very much,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am very pleased to learn that this can be done.
However I must be able to operate this myself as it is an operation which would be repeated several times. I therefore await your guidance by text.
The problem arises from a software package incompatibility with my colleague's Apple computer. This remote computer is in another town 15 miles away.
Roger *******

Dear *****,

thanks for getting back to me. Can you please confirm which OS each of these computers have? Since you mentioned Apple....

Lorenz Vauck

Dear *****,

are you still there? I´ve closed your other question about the same topic, so you don´t get double charged. Just answer me here please:)

Lorenz

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Communication difficulties ! I have been in touch with your CustomerServices by telephone
The remote computer uses OS X El Capitan
The remote printer (linked to this computer) is a HP ENVY with its own IP address : 192.168.0.15
The connection you say you can establish must not prevent the other user from using her machine and printer.
Thank you for your patience. I await your instructions
Roger ***********

Dear *****,

thanks for getting back to me. Well, you can share the printer on the Mac and then connect to it over the internet from your other computer, if you have her current internet IP address eachtime, which might be changing, depending on her ISP. To avoid that, you might setup a DNS alias instead, which she needs to install a program for that updates the DNS alias each time she turns on the PC. If the printer is on her local network (which by the IP you´ve provided is the case), things are getting more complicated again.

You really need some advanced networking skills to set all this up, as you see. The best idea would really be to do this via a remote-assistance. I can then login to her Mac and your computer (you both of course need to be online at the same time) and setup the connection to the printer for you on both computers. That´s really the only way I see to get it done as it is rather complicated as you can see.

For that I´d make you an offer for a remote-assistance for this complicated setup, which you can accept if your are interested. I estimate the work time required for this on both computers at least with about 2 hours, hence the somewhat higher price tag - still cheaper than if you´d call a local technician which would have to visit both of your places. If you are not interested, just decline the offer and I will afterwards forward your question to all experts that can try to help you via text, but I really see no chance for this to be done by text, especially since other experts (as you saw) say it doesn´t even work at all (which is not the case, since I have almost the same setup running here). It´s your descicion.

Thank you very much and best regards,

Lorenz

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the thought you have put into this so far. The problem appears to be more complicated than I had thought.
Let me explain. I work for a Charity and the database is written in MS ACCESS. The files are shared using Dropbox and there has been no problem printing reports as all the machines used are equipped with ACCESS. However a new Officer has an Apple Computer which cannot handle ACCESS. I am therefore looking for a way that reports can be produced on my machine and printed on her printer. I had hoped that there might be a way of sending report files prepared by me to her for printing on her machine.
I am afraid that I will decline your offer of on-line help to configure the two computers/printer. it would need to be simpler than that an not interfere with her machine and her use of it.
I will rate your efforts if asked.
Roger ***********
Roger ***********

Dear *****,

thanks for the reply. Now that I know WHY you want to do it, I can offer some complete different solutions that are a lot easier in this case. There are several (partially free) ways to open (at least display) MS Access files on a Mac, please have a look at those (and you should be able to print from all of them on the Mac):

http://eggerapps.at/mdbviewer/ (app)

http://www.accdbexplorer.com/ (app)

http://www.mdbopener.com/ (online solution via webpage)

This way she can open the MS Access file you email her directly on her Mac and print them.

Please let me know if it works as you´ve wanted and of course I would be happy if you could give me a positive rating (3 to 5 stars, select them at the upper right corner and then submit the rating), because only then I do get paid by JustAnswer with 50% of your already submitted payment.

Thank you so much and please let me know if you have any questions.

Have a nice weekend and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert
Experience: 17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have tried two Apple Apps which claim to handle ACCESS. They display the main tables but will not produce reports or queries- hence the problem.
I can, however, produce pdf versions of reports on the PC whch i have here. We are going to experiment with these using Dropbox for communications.
We will also follow up the other links you gave.
This will take a week or so but I will let you know if we are successful. Please give me an email address so that I can contact you.
In the meantime i am happy to give you a high rating but cannot find the place to enter this. Please advise
Thank you for all the information which you have sent.

Dear *****,

thanks for the friendly rating and your feedback. You can answer back anytime here (I am not allowed to give out my email address as per the JustAnswer expert contract), once you´ve tried the apps. They should work without problems, all of them worked fine for me in my tests. Of course, the PDF method is also an idea.

Just let me know and have a great Sunday for now,

Lorenz

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I prepared a set of address labels using ACCESS, converted the file to pdf and sent it to my colleague..
She was able to open and print the file using her APPLE and I understand that the formatting was OK.
We may well have found a solution which will serve until we. review the whole situation later in the year,
We will look carefully at the apps you recommended but i will be agreeably surprised if they will enable an APPLE to run Queries and Reports + essential in our work..
Thank you for your help, the discussion with you opened up several possibilities. I will certainly use JustAnswer again if the need arises,
Roger ***********

Dear *****,

I am glad I could help to get a clearer picture of what you actually need. Those apps I´ve mentioned, should be able to do what you want (queries and reports). Just test them out:)

Thanks again and please let me know if you have any more question in relation to this topic.

If you have new questions in the future, it would be a pleasure to help you again. You can reach me directly (the question is just directed to me then, no other expert can accept it) at:

http://lorenzvauck.com

Have a great evening and best regards,

Lorenz