John
John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
50152684

My mouse has stopped working on Windows 10. The

My mouse has stopped working on Windows 10. The troubleshooter program tells me that there is a problem with the mouse driver but is unable to repair it.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. Please give me a moment while I review your question.

Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.

Is this a a desktop or Laptop PC?

If this is a laptop PC is this the touch-pad on the laptop that is having the issue?

Let me know the make and model of the PC.

Sincerely,
John

Note: - Please reply using the box below.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's a desktop pc - acer aspire x3990
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.

OK have you tried another USB port to see if the mouse works?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have tried 3 different USB ports
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.

OK do you have a spare mouse to test on the problematic PC?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I bought a brand new mouse today in case the mouse itself was the problem, but neither the old or new mouse work. I am pretty sure the problem lies with the pc rather than the mouse - as I mentioned before the troubleshooting program on my computer says that there is a problem with the mouse driver, which it is unable to fix.
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.

OK do you have any other USB devices connected to the PC like flash/thumb drive or a printer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a printer connected. I have also successfully connected my usb memory stick since this problem has been occurring, although it is not currently connected.
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.

OK that means USB ports are working too.

Have you tried removing the mouse from the device manager and re-installing it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have been into the device manager and tried to update the driver, but it said it was already up to date. I don't think I have actually removed and reinstalled them. Can you talk me through how to do that?
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.

Sure before that we can try system restore (If you haven't tried that )

I believe you are currently chatting to me from another PC?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am currently chatting to you from a mobile device
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.

Good then we can do system restore first

1. Press windows key and R key that will open run box

2. In the Run box type rstrui and press enter that will open system restore window, Click on next

3. In that windows it will show a restore date select that restore date were the mouse was working. If the required restore date is not listed then select Choose a different restore point on the bottom of the system restore window. Now select the desired restore date.

4. Then click on next and continue with the system restore process

That will restart,check it after the restart and let me know the result.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I am waiting for that to happen...
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.

OK you mean it had started the restore process

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will let you know once it has restarted
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.

OK thank you.

Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.

Is it still restoring ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The system restore has finished and the mouse appears to be working. I'm just waiting for everything to boot up, which is taking a while
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.

OK after everything is booted up,shut down the PC and wait for 2 min and then turn on again and check it

Let me know

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok it's booted up but there is a message saying it is installing a device (I'm guessing this is maybe the new mouse). Should I wait for this to complete before I shut down?
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.

Yes please wait while it finishes the installing,once its done then shut down

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I shut it down for 2 minutes and turned it back on, and it all appears to be working fine. Is there anything else I need to do?
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.

Good to know its working now.No need to do anything

Please rate me using the rating options (stars) on the top of this page, select the rating and click on submit.Have a Great God Blessed Day. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Sincerely,

john

John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Many thanks for your help.