Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer specialist
62741268

I dropped my Galaxy S6 in water and retrieved it quickly. I

i dropped my Galaxy S6 in water and retrieved it quickly. I cannot turn it off and the screen is flashing. Please help me.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 10 months ago.

Hi ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.You will need to power the Phone off and leave it off before it damages the Phone beyond repair. Try holding the power button down for 60 seconds to power off. The rice is a desiccant, however it takes a few days to draw the moisture out. It only helps if the phone got a little wet. If there is moisture in the phones hardware the worst thing for it is charging and trying to power on. The only thing to do is completely disassemble it and dry the internal parts or use a desiccant pouch that has sap in it. The sap(super absorbent polymer) is the same thing that is used in a baby diaper. If you do that it still takes putting the pouch in a warm place for 24-48 hours and there is no guarantee the phone will ever work again.

The Phone will need to be completely moisture(water) free before using. Unfortunately, there is no quick fix for this without completely disassembling the Phone and dry it out. The only option other than disassembly to dry it out as quickly as possible will be to get some moisture absorbing packets and then place the Phone in a bag with the packets, then leave the Phone in a warm dry place for 24-48 hours. You can use a vacuum to suck the water out of the reachable areas of the Phone(headphone jack, cracks, charge port) but do not use a hair dryer or anything else that blows air, that will create more problems by blowing moisture deeper into the Phone.

Please reply and let me know if you need any other assistance,

Also, please take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top then click submit.

I am very sorry for the unfortunate circumstances, I would appreciate not getting a negative review as this reflects my service to you and I felt I provided good solutions for this. JustAnswer has a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Please reply and let me know how we can get this resolved for you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, the answer provided was not satisfactory, as I have tried holding the power off button for over 60 seconds and it still will not power off. This was a key answer I required, hence the 2*. The screen is flashing. I believe the phone has short circuited and is not salvageable by my hands.

I am sorry to hear that. The answer I gave you is the only solution, when there is water damage those are the only options.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not sure. I think my last shot will be isopropyl alcohol 99%.

Okay, I use 99% isopropyl alcohol to help dissipate and dry the water when I disassemble the phone. i dip the parts in alcohol and then use compressed air to blow dry and then dry with warm air and desiccant. The screen may be damaged if you dip the entire phone, the battery may also be damaged by the alcohol.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My Galaxy S6, like the phoenix, has risen and survived. It is working now just fine, so it looks the rice worked. I was concerned as I couldn't power it off at the time and the screen flashing looked like it had short circuited somewhere, but it is just fine now it seems.One last opinion though please - if I could disassemble the phone and use isopropyl alcohol, would you say I should isopropyl alcohol on it? Or because it appears to now be back to normal (time will be the proof obviously), should I just leave it be and never let it go anywhere near H2O again?

That's great news!

I am glad to hear that.