Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I Have an Aspire 5943G laptop. When I start up the CAPS LOCK

I Have an Aspire 5943G laptop.
When I start up the CAPS LOCK light doesn't come on as it used to.
When it's up and running the CAPS LOCK doesn't work nor do the characters 's', 'd', 'g', 'h' and 'm'.
What is wrong and what do I need to do to correct it.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me please when this problem started occurring?

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It started about 6 months ago but as I haven't used my laptop for a while I forgot about it
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Which version of windows is it using?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Windows 7
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me if it is now functioning please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Shall I stay on line on my desktop while I do this
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

yes pleas.

Also you need to use the onboard keyboard if you are not already via Start, Accessories, Ease of use

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorry this is taking so long but I have to use a remote keyboard for this as the 's' character doesn't work as a consequence of the issue
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

no problem at all.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately already started to scan using the remote keyboard.
do I need to start again
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

no... as long as it is scanning as per my instructions it does not matter how you type it

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK we are 46% complete with the scan
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we are now up to 76% complete
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Scan is now complete and has come up with the message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"
Shall I now proceed to the next stage ??
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

yes

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's now carrying out a disk check
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it's now at stage 4
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's now on stage 4 and this is taking some time
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

yes, it can take a few hours

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's processed 104235 files out of 223472 files
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Stage 4 is now complete and is now carrying out stage 5
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Stage 5 is 47% complete
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Stage 5 now 80% complete
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It has finished and the computer has restarted but the Caps Lock and characters 's', 'd', 'g', 'h' and 'm' still don not work so I can only assume that it's a hardware problem.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Richard, are you still there ?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Hi Bob, sorry was offline for the day but came back to reply.

We are not yet certain it is hardware

Can you do a system restore please via the instructions below using a date when it last worked

Go to the Windows 8 Start Screen and type restore point. When the search results appear click on the Settings category.

Now click on the option labeled Create a restore point and you will be brought to the System Protection tab of the System Properties control panel.

Click on the System Restore button and you will be presented with the main screen for System Restore. Now click on the Next button and you will be shown a list of available restore points that you can restore.

Select the restore point you wish to restore by left-clicking on the entry once. Use a date when this was working

Then click on the Next button at the restore point selection screen. You will now be at a screen asking if you are sure you wish to perform the restore.

Click on the Finish button. System Restore will once again ask if you are sure you wish to continue. If you are sure, please click on the Yes button.

System Restore will now reboot your computer and begin the restore process. Please be patient as this can take quite some time.

Then tell me if it works please

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Richard, I already did this a few weeks ago and it didn't work so I re-installed everything back to factory settings using my recovery disks and even that didn't work.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, that was the next step we would have done.

It is the motherboard that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Laptop to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your help.
The laptop is out of warranty as it's 4 years old so no chance of a free repair.
Is it worth having the motherboard replaced and how much do you think it would cost.
It's an i5 - 460M processor laptop.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, not for a laptop, you would be looking at around 3-400 for the replacement and labor costs, it would be better to purchase a new replacement Bob and sell this one on ebay for parts.

Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks Richard. Good job done
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

your welcome

Let me know if you need anything else