technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years combined corporate and small business experience.
65369237

Have an Acer Aspire 5738G. works fine except none of the USB

Hi, Have an Acer Aspire 5738G. works fine except none of the USB ports work. system check says they are ok but they don't recognise any device connected. any suggestions?
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. Please give me a moment while I review your question.

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Just to clarify does this USB port issue happens on for a specific device like a flash drive or printer or for any devices connects to the USB ports?

Sincerely,

John

Note: - Please reply using the box below.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Any device.
Printer, scanner, phone camera, keyboard and mouse.
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for confirming that.

Right click on start menu and then click on device manager from the list see if that open device manager.

Let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Done
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Good, now disconnect any USB devices currently connected and then expand Universal serial Bus Controller then right click on USB root hub and click on uninstall.Do this to all USB root hubs and let me know what all left under Universal serial Bus Controller.

If it asks for restart click on later.

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Note: - Please bookmark this page, use that bookmark to open this page, In case that doesn't work. Then you can get back to this page using the email send by just answer to your email address regarding this question. There is view answer option in the email click on that and you can open this page. You can also use the welcome email from justanswer to open this page too there is a check my answer option in it to open this page. That email also has you justanswer user name and password ***** login.

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Did you manage to remove all USB root hubs?

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

please let me know the status?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok sorry for the delay.
What I have left is: -
HUAWEI Mobile Connect - Bus Enumerate Device
Intel(r) ICH9 Family USB universal Host Controller - 2934 ;2935;2936;2937;2938;2939;239A;239C
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

No problem. Uninstall all Intel(r) ICH9 Family USB universal Host Controller too then restart the PC and all the USB controllers will be re-installed so please wait until its done after that check it.Please let me know the result.

Use the bookmark or email from justanswer to open this chat page and let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK. All uninstalled. Restarted PC. USB controllers re-installed. None working
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

OK when did this problem started ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
At the week end.
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

OK then we can try system restore to do that please follow the below instructions.

1. Press windows key and R key that will open run box

2. In the Run box type rstrui and press enter that will open system restore window, Click on next

3. In that windows it will show a restore date select that restore date were the USB ports were working fine. If the required restore date is not listed then select Choose a different restore point on the bottom of the system restore window. Now select the desired restore date.

4. Then click on next and continue with the system restore process

During the process the system will restart after that see if that problem got solved and let me know the result.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Only shows two restore points
1) 17 sept 16 19:43 Restore operation - undo (this was my first attempt at correcting things)
2) 30-may-16 System image restore point - back up (this was the last time I backed up to a separate hard drive)Where next?
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

It doesn't show the option to show other restore points?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry No
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would you like to connect to my PC
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

No one moment while i will give you instructions to do clean boot to see if USB ports work in that way

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Press windows key + r key that will open run box in that type msconfig and click on OK that will open system configuration window in that click on services tab.

Click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all. then click on apply and OK that will ask you to restart please do so and then check it again and let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Done that and drawn a blank - still nothing working from USB ports.
I'm having to go out shortly John, can I pick up on this later - about 10, or tomorrow evening.
Thanks for your help so far.
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

You are welcome.I will try to be online at that time if not i will open this to other experts.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you.Bye
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm here if you have any other suggestions.
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.i am currently working with another customer so i will open this to other experts so that they can continue with you to fix this usb issue.

Sincerely,

john

Expert:  technicalcat replied 8 months ago.

Hello Michael,

I will be helping you now.

Do you have another computer available with a CD/DVD RW drive, and some blank CD recordable media (discs)?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello, No, don't have another computer. CD/DVD drive on this laptop still works - plays, not tried recording. I have a supply of CD-R and DVD-R discs.

Please download Hiren's bootcd from here:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Also, download imgburn from here:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/ImgBurn/1128426215/1

Install imgburn. Then run the install for hiren's boot cd. If you end up with an ISO(image) file, you'll then open imgburn and use that to burn that image file for hirens to a blank CD.

Once you have finished burning the hirens boot cd, reply to me for further instruction. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, Hirens boot cd now burnt to a CD.
Contains:
HBCD (File Folder); autorun (setup info); changes (text);HBCD (text); HBCD Menu (Windows command script)
If that's ok ready for the next bit.

OK.

1) Do you have a USB external hard drive or a thumb drive?

2) Do you know how to boot your computer from the CD drive?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1) I have a 500 GB WD USB external hard drive or a clean 8GB memory stick - but no working USB port on laptop.
2) I believe so. Getting into the BIOS features to set it to boot from the CD

OK.

You should be able to press F12 at power on for a boot menu, then follow prompt to boot from CD (press any key).

1) Put the burned CD in the drive, and then power your computer completely off by holding in the power button for 10 seconds.

2) Plug in your USB memory stick

3) Power back on computer, and attempt to boot off the CD drive

Let me know if you are able to do this. Also, I am sending you an offer for phone support , as this will be a lot easier to work on over the phone, especially if you just have one computer there.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's done. Booted form CD on second attempt. Still no live USB ports

Do you have another computer there so you can interact with me while the computer is booted off the CD?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
From my Windows Phone if that is any good

a phonecall would be best, ***** ***** you don't want that, then go ahead and reply to me with your windows phone when you are ready. we'll be carrying out some troubleshooting with the boot cd

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok go ahead.

Before we proceed, I want to note that it may be determined you have defective USB ports. Although fairly rare, this can happen, and I've actually seen it myself on two different main boards with computers I've owned, and others I've worked on. I just want to know that you will be satisfied with the troubleshooting and my time, regardless of the verdict on your ports, because I will ask for a good rating if you are satisfied. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You are probably confirming what I have been thinking. If you rate the chances of finding a correctable fault as negligible then let's quit. If chances better than that I am happy to press ahead. If it fails it fails - no blame on you.

I'm not sure I understand your last reply. The only way I receive credit for helping you today is if you positively rate my time and help to you. What I'm asking is if you will do that even if your USB ports are bad. As far as the chances of them being bad, I won't know until we proceed further. I just want to know that regardless of the outcome or how much further we proceed that you will still be happy and will rate my time and help to you positively. If you'd like , you can rate my time and help now, and I will continue to help you all the same until we reach a conclusion.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Outcome good or bad I appreciate your efforts and will say so

It's actually a rating you do through this website, as you are seeing on this reply. In good faith, you can rate at any time, and I continue to help all the way, and there is also a satisfaction guarantee. So long as you are still willing to rate and pay for the answer, even if it's not good news, then I will be more than happy to proceed. If not, just let me know now, because I can't guarantee the result of the test one way or another. Only that it will be accurate.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll complete the rating when we are finished. I accept that the result could be that I am no better off than when we started. Payment has already been lodged with PayPal.

ok thanks. does your external hard drive also have an external power adapter, or do you only connect with the USB cord?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It has a separate power lead.

how about your USB drive? do you have any usb device that shows a light for power normally when plugged in (immediately)?

*usb memory stick.

what we are looking for is a usb device that will "light up" immediately when plugged into a working port. some do this, others do not. if you don't have such a device, that's OK. just if you do, we'll want to check it out.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
A usb multi point.

OK, a hub? that may be an indicator. With some of those you have to plug them in, and then plug a usb device in. In any case, are you able to see any light action at all on the hub when plugged it, when it has a device attached or not?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The light should come on when connected to pc. It's not on.

OK. That's not a good sign. USB ports have communication as well as power leads, and the power is coming through your mainboard from the PSU on the computer.

Please try this:

1) Power off computer

2) Plug in your external hard drive and power adapter, and turn on the hard drive if it has a switch

3) Power on computer and boot off the hirens cd

4) At the menu select "mini windows xp"

5) When computer finishes booting to the XP, reply to me.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Finished loading xp
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No separate on switch on external hd

Great. OK, so, there should be an my computer or computer icon on the desktop (if i remember it right). Find it, and click. You'll see a list of drives to include your internal hard drive, CD drive, and any other connected drives you may have. If you can recall the name or any data on the external, then it should be easy to find. Let me know if you see the external drive at all, and if so are able to browse it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can't see the external drive. The Cd drive is there but no other external device.

OK.

The problem is definitely a hardware failure. We know this because of both the power test, and the bootcd. The bootcd enables us to totally isolate away from your C drive and windows installation and test with a very basic version of windows. I've also done some research in our tech db, and sadly this particular model has had failure of USB ports in the past.

About the only thing you may be able to do, short of mainboard replacement, is add on a PCMCIA USB adapter card. You'll need to determine if you have that slot and what type of of PC slot it is. At the moment, I'm not pulling up any information on that expansion slot on this unit, but you may be able to figure it out by visual inspection. Also, you may not have such a slot at all. This will be on the side of the laptop, and will be wide. About the width of the short end of a credit card.

Again, sorry this isn't the news you wanted to hear, but it is accurate.

IMPORTANT:

Please take a moment now to rate my time and help to you. Thank You.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK. At 7/8 years old it's probably not worth trying to repair. I'll do the rating once I get my PC back to where it was when we started. Let's see if I can do that without any help.

It appears there is no addon slots on that computer. So, mainboard replacement would be the only option to fix. To go back , just reboot and take the CD out of the drive. You won't have any trouble with that. Also, I continue to help after rating until you are satisfied. Thank You.

technicalcat, Consultant
Experience: 20 years combined corporate and small business experience.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All done. Pressure for a rating rather than just pressing on to the outcome detracted from an otherwise excellent experience. God bless and good night.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I just didn't want to set any unrealistic expectations on the results of my help and troubleshooting for this unfortunate problem with your laptop.

Thank you again, and thanks for using JustAnswer!