Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

I am having trouble logging into my Outlook 2010 application

Customer Question

Hi, I am having trouble logging into my Outlook 2010 application for emails on my laptop, although I do use Google on my Motorola Moto G4 mobile and Kindle Fire HD8 both of which are new items this week.
When in Outlook it keeps looking for my Google account and in the box it says "Your IMAP server wants to alert you the following: Please log in via your web browser". I already do this as well on my laptop but I use Outlook 2010 as my default application for emails, calendar, tasks and contacts.
Can you tell me how I can rectify this problem as I don't know what to do.
Marion Smith
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.

Marion,

Click here: http://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

Next to "Access for less secure apps" and select TURN ON

Now try using Outlook and let me know if it works. If you are still having issues please let me know otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HiI have tried this but after logging back into my Office 2010 for Outlook/emails the problem still happens and I then get messages from Google as shown below which sounds quite frightening so I may well have to change it back to the secure setting."You recently changed your security settings so that your Google Account***@******.*** is no longer protected by modern security standards.Please be aware that it is now easier for an attacker to break into your account. You can make your account safer again by undoing this change here, then switching to apps made by Google such as Gmail to access your account."I will try again tomorrow but if not I will either have to keep logging into my Google account online or via my Kindle Fire HD8 or mobile which I don't really want to do for any of them as I do use my Outlook also for my calendar and tasks which is more helpful than Google's.
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.

Marion,

The message that you received via Google is more a "scare" tactic than anything else. We turned on an option that can allow for less secure programs to connect but it does not mean that your computer/account is at risk.

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.