Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My microphone does not work. how is it possible to check the

My microphone does not work. how is it possible to check the connections ?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Is this an external microphone, and internal one? How is it connected and to what (eg: a computer)?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is a computer . It is a external microphone
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Thanks,

How is it connected (to which port on the computer)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is an external microphone it plugs into the side of the computer
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

yes I saw from your last message but I need to know to which port please.

What does it say on the port?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It plugs into the 2nd one on the right side It has nothing written on it
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

what is the make and model of the computer

And how do you know the microphone is not working?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is a Toshiba L 500 -1VL Nobody can hear me on skype
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, in Skype, click on Tools, Options, Audio

Then in the microphone box, click and change the device then start talking to see if the green bar moves. If it does, click ok as this is then the correct device.

Keep repeating till you have the correct one selected

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will try on my own first thanks Richard
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

No problem Tony, please remember to let me know the results

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have done all that you said when I talk into the microphone the green bars go to the right two steps away from high. I then tried audio voice testing on skype but still I could not hear my own voice it is still a problem
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

If it goes to the right then it does mean it is working, but did you click Ok after doing this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cant remember clicking ok I will do it again
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I could not see anything that says "OK" all I could see was save or cancel I pressed save but again trying Skype audio testing service still could not hear my own voice Sorry
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

what item is selected in the list and what items are available there in the microphone

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am not sure what you require. The only thing there is [2. webcam c170] and [realtek H D Audio] I get the green bars with the 2.web but nothing with the realtek
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, set it to realtek

Then plug the microphone into the other port on the side and tell me if you then get sound please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Absolutely nothing no green bars completely dead
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, points to a faulty microphone, as the webcam is working.

Do you have another computer you can test the microphone on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Why do we get the flashing green bars if the microphone is not working. I do not have another computer
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

thats the microphone from the webcam, not the microphone, which is why it works when the webcam is selected.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Why do we get the flashing green bars if the microphone is not working. I do not have another computer could there be a button on the keyboard that I have mistakenly pressed
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, I replied to this question but you seem to have missed it

No, no button on the keyboard would stop it working.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will get myself another microphone. Thank you for your help . Sorry to have been no help but I am in my 80s I just use my computer to talk to my kids I feel lost without it. I cant afford to spend to much on it
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

it is no problem at all!

Just have the microphone tested before purchasing.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry