Russell H.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

I have just replaced my Macbook Pro 2011 with a new MacBook

Customer Question

HI Steve. I have just replaced my Macbook Pro 2011 with a new MacBook Air 2016 and in my home office, I had the MB Pro connected to 2 monitors, via thunderbolt to DVI-D and usb 3.0 to HDMI. This setup worked fine with my MB Pro but now the usb-hdmi connector doesn't work on my new MB Air. The monitor has no signal. Yet when I plug it back into my MB Pro, this works fine again. Please can you advise why this isn't working on the MB Air & if theres a work around please. Thanks in advance.
Craig
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

MacBook Air is not listed as being necessarily compatible with HDMI usage. Or, you may need a differing adapter... MacBooks' outputs are not standardized to being identical, but rather must be approached on a one-by-one basis, according to the individual aspects.

Where is the port on your Apple Air 2016, that you call the USB/HDMI connector, please?

Or, are you using a USB port on the Apple Air 2016, to go through a USB-to-HDMI adapter cable, to an HDMI input on a monitor? That may simply not work, until the USB is configured to produce video output (there's no reason for a USB port to produce video output per se, until it is specifically configured to do so, you see.)

Are you using the USB 3 to HDMI adapter cable with this USB/HDMI connector on the Apple Air 2016 ?

Please give me more details, and I will try to advise you through to a good solution.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell. Thank for your time to look into this and reply.The usb port I am using is on the right hand side of the MB Air next to the thunderbolt port. I am using a USB to HDMI Adapter plugged into my Air, as per the link below:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BPEV1XK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1Then a HDMI cable from the adapter to the back of the monitor. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That clears up what is going on. Or, what you are trying to do with what resources.

But I need to ask: Is the USB port you are trying to use, a 'square' or rectangular USB port, or is it a USB-C port (which is oval, oblong, rounded) ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The usb port is the standard 'square' or rectangular USB port. Picture as per the attached. Cheers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks for the photo, and for clearing that up.

I assume you mean the USB port that is unoccupied by any cable, in the picture you posted, not the Firewire port that has a cable in it in the picture.

Is your model the 13 inch, or one of the 15 inch, MacBook Air models?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the unoccupied usb port at present as the cable is plugged. The white cable is for my other monitor which is working fine and connected via mini display port to DVI-D on the monitor. Its like the usb ports don't support video out.My model is the MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you say what I am suspecting (though I have yet to look up the specific Mac Air you have.) The USB ports, if not USB-C, may not support video output.