Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

Avg has locked a Samsung s5, I cant get a passcode to unlock

Customer Question

avg has locked a Samsung s5, I cant get a passcode to unlock it from them. please can you help
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Are you still able to use the laptop despite this passcode problem?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no problem with laptop
It's my partners phone and I don't have it with me at present
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for writing back with that information. Is the phone still usable despite the passcode problem?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can only use it hands free as a phone, nothing else working
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Can you please describe the process on how you are getting the passcode prompt? For instance, describe what happens when you turn on the phone and until you are locked by the password *****

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
everything looks normal to start then avg logo and enter password ***** we've tried to enter password ***** I have for laptop but its saying not recognised
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for that information. This scenario only happens when you enabled the Anti-Theft service on your Android phone, and you changed the SIM card. Did you change the sim card on your phone recently?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
changed a couple of weeks ago
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for that confirmation. This PIN code or pass code that it being prompted on your phone is actually the passcode or PIN code that you entered when you enabled the Anti-Theft service.

In this case, you have 3 options to unlock the phone if you already forgot the PIN code or passcode. First is by using the old SIM card if it is still available. This is the easiest solution among the 3 options. Second is through the Forgot PIN link, but this will not work if the phone is not connected to the internet. The third option is via avgmobilation.com.

Here are the procedures:

A. Using the previous SIM card
You may be able to unlock the phone by entering the previous SIM card:

1. Please start the phone with the previous SIM card.
2. Disable the SIM lock feature in AVG AntiVirus under Anti-Theft settings.
3. Insert the new SIM card.

B. Via the "Forgot PIN" link
Note: Before going through the steps below, ensure that the phone can connect to the Internet. You can do this by either being in range of a known Wi-Fi network that you connected to previously, or by inserting a sim card with data capability. If the phone can not be connected to the Internet, the recommended solution is a factory reset. If you need assistance with performing a factory reset on your mobile phone, please contact the manufacturer.
1. On the lock screen, click on Forgot PIN.
2. An email will be sent to the email address registered with your AVG MyAccount.
3. Open the email and click on the PIN reset link.
4. A new website will open where you can reset your PIN.
5. Use the new PIN to unlock your phone.

C. Via avgmobilation.com
Note: Before going through the steps below, ensure that the phone can connect to the Internet. You can do this by either being in range of a known Wi-Fi network that you connected to previously, or by inserting a sim card with data capability. If the phone cannot be connected to the Internet, the recommended solution is a factory reset. If you need assistance with performing a factory reset on your mobile phone, please contact the manufacturer.
1. Visit www.avgmobilation.com and log in with your AVG MyAccount that you used when setting up the Anti-Theft service:

2. Go to the Unlock tab on the website, and then click Unlock to unlock the device.
3. Wait a few minutes for the phone to synchronize the new settings. Your phone will be unlocked then.
4. Change the PIN again via www.avgmobilation.com to a more secure one, or disable the Device Lock and Device Administrator options in the Anti-Theft settings in AVG AntiVirus on your phone.

Here is a youtube video link describing how to use avgmobilation.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACndyBqABQU

Here is the link for the AVG procedures:

AVG Procedures to unlock Android phone

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess