Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Woke up Wed morning, switched on my PC to find it isn't

Customer Question

Hi, woke up Wed morning, switched on my PC to find it isn't connecting to internet. No problem previous night. Running windows 10. In network settings on task bar it says "No internet secured" against wireless connection but shows it having an excellent signal. Ran all MS windows network & internet diagnostics but it can't find anything. Even plugging a cale connection has no effect.Help please. at a loss re what to do now. Tom
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

How does the computer connect to the internet wired or wireless?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. Contacting you from m tablet. Pc not connecting so can<t see how you can remotely connect

Secure Remote Assistance is an additional service we cannot connect to the pc using remote assistance at the point of time.

Let me know how the you access internet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
connect wireless through ee brighbox router. PC is receiving the signal as it shows in connections box but when you click on chrome it says "Thereis no internet connection"

Are you connected to the same wireless router to the tablet you are chatting with?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have accessed the router remotely from my tablet as well

Thanks for the info. When was the last time you are able to connect the laptop fine without a problem on the internet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i believe it was tuesday night

What Operating System (OS) is running on the computer?

Windows or Mac let me know the version as well.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
windows 10

Reboot the wireless router

Unplug the ac adapter from the router and let it sit for 3 mins

power it back on and wait for 3 mins to boot up the router.

Follow the same with the computer after the router is ready try to connect and let me know how it goes,

If this does not work follow the next step.

From the Windows 10 Start screen, type "Restore." The top result in the right-side Search panel should be "Create a restore point." Even though that's not what we're doing today, that's the choice you want to make. It opens the Control Panel to the Systems Properties dialog's System Protection tab
Tap the first button on that property sheet: System Restore. This opens a wizard-like dialog, the first page of which says "Restore system files and settings"
Next, you'll see a dialog with a choice of system restore points
Hit Next. Now you'll see the "Confirm your restore point" dialog," which lets you do exactly what it says. Note you can tick the "Show more restore points" box to do just that. You're also prompted to save any open files and make sure your Windows Password *****
Click Finish. You'll then see a final warning dialog telling you that once started, the System Restore cannot be interrupted, with another confirmation button for continuing the process. Click Yes.
Next you'll see a progress timer saying Restoring System, after which a full-screen Windows Update-like screen will display, saying "Please wait while your Windows files and settings are being restored." The process will run through initializing, restoring the registry, and then it will restart.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
will do. will let you know how it goes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1st didn't work. In system restore. Ihave to turn on system protectionnn to access teh system restore button.I have 3 drive options: C, Data (D) and BIOS_RVY. Do I just select C?

if system restore is off that means there is no previous restore point left.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
which means?

on your computer try to remove the wifi driver software from the device manager and then reboot the computer.

Is it possible for you to connect the computer directly to the wifi router using a lan cable you will get internet access then i can remote connect and make the necessary changes and updates to make the wifi work again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can move the PC and connect directly to router. Is it teh REALTEK RTL81991SE Wireless LAN802.11n PCI-E NIC in Network Adaptors that Ii delete?

let me know once you have done that so that i can connect to it remotely.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
have connected pc direct to router. What now?

do you have access to the internet on the pc?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no

if its connected directly to the router then you must have access to the internet.

check the connection and the lan cable connect it on port number 2 at the back of the router.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
cable is in port 2 but no internet. in settings/ethernet is says Local area Connection - No internet

do you see the light at the port on the router as well as the computer lan port blinks or not green/***** *****ght.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no lights on router ports. Baack of pc is blinking greenn/amber

there must be 3 more ports connect and check which port works.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
checked them all. none give me internet on pc
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what now?

can you tell me the make and model of the router?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
router is bright box (R) router

Try to power cycle the router and then try to connect it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how do i do that?

unplug the ac adapter from the router and let it sit for 5 mins reconnect and power it back on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
done that. still not working. try rest my pc?

other wireless devices are connecting to the router fine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tablet, phones, macbook air

open device manager and let me know what you see under network device in the device manager.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
under network adaptors there is the realtek wirelees one i gave details of before. also realteeeeeeeeeeeeeek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
shhhould add that I deleted teh wireless on etwice but system has added it back in???

please add the wireless network driver and then try to connect back.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it was already added back by system. still not working

that means the wireless network card is not working.

Option to reconnect the pc to the wifi is to get a usb wifi dongle.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ive got the admin events log for wireless adaptor. last event on 4 oct was a warning re source win32k

i would suggest you in this case to go in for a usb mini network adapter as the network adapter seems not to be working

let me know if you have any questions

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating for the service and effort.Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
will this definitly work?

yes if your usb port is working fine then this will definitely work fine