Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
63083622

I built a computer mid this year and couldn't find the

hey there I built a computer mid this year and couldn't find the product key on the packaging of the OS (windows 10) so I got a key off the net (wrong idea) I know now,
being this was my first build and fairly new to IT I didn't think anything of it happy days.
I went to amazon where I brought the OS to ask where the key was and instead of guiding me thought this they refunded me! ok I got my money back but I asked a friend and he found it on the inside of the packaging, now I feel stupid, I've tried to enter the product key to activate windows 10 but it comes up with the product key can't be changed with this edition and error code 0xc004f050 . can you help me to find out if I need a new product key or if I've shut myself out of my PC?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Wes replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Wes replied 1 month ago.

If you used a pirated key off the internet and activated it as a corporate or enterprise version you're probably going to have to re-load windows because you can't activate Enterprise/Corporate versions with consumer keys. The key you are trying to use must match the version of windows installed exactly... meaning 64/32 bit, same edition, etc...

Expert:  Wes replied 1 month ago.

I'm betting that's what happened.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
got called into work, apologise for the late response, the 1 i used was off a youtube vid for windows 10 home 64 bit witch is same as the disk I brought same version but wasn't the same key as the one that came with the disk, as I couldn't find it on the packaging, there is a small possibility that the youtuber had it wrong but how can I re-install product key that I got with the windows disk I purchased, or do I need to buy a new disk and start from scratch?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry was windows pro I got I've just doubled checked it if I have put a key in for home how can I correct this?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
right I've just checked the status of the os and it's in home addition not activated and I've got a windows 10 pro with disk and key but key not working? I'm off to bed so if you get back to me i'll try it in the morning.
Expert:  Wes replied 1 month ago.

You can try using the Pro disc to install Windows 10 pro over the top of the Home version that's already installed. You might be able to save your files that way or at least reduce the amount of time you have to spend reloading apps and info. Otherwise you're going to have to pull your important files off and reload the system entirely. I would be very careful of trying to "force" a change in editions via registry changes or other net-described hacks because you could very well end up invalidating the new key.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey Wes is there anyway I can find out if I've invalidated my product key?
I've ordered a reinstall, repair and recovery disk for Windows 10 home and pro editions, my bank is pretty empty atm just paid my rent and the misses birthday is ***** so end of the month if I'm still in the same situation I may need that device take over you offered.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Or should I just get another home product key?
Expert:  Wes replied 1 month ago.

I have no reason to believe you've invalidated the key. Keys only get invalidated after multiple activation attempts on multiple potential systems. So you may have tried to use the new key on this system a few times... that's fine, not really a problem. The danger you get into is if say you find a utility that forces or fools Windows into thinking it's a different version, then activate again... if it works you may be fine until Microsoft rolls out a patch or something which may trigger you having to do it again, etc... that's where you can get yourself into trouble because on microsoft's end it may look like the key is being used on multiple systems and may be flagged for invalidation. To be honest, no one really knows the exact parameters they use (because they obviously don't want people figuring out a way around it).

The other possibility is you could try to do a telephone activation. You don't need to tell them you used a pirated key or anything like that, and there's no way they would know. You might be able to activate it that way. Usually it's a voice-response system... but after you blow it a few times usually someone comes on who you can actually talk to. They may well tell you that you can't activate it and will have to reinstall as well. It's not an uncommon mistake so don't worry about "getting in trouble" or anything like that.

In short, I wouldn't worry about buying another key. If you have a pro disc and a pro key, just install over the top and be done with it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK thanks for the clarification on that I may just wipe the ssd completely and reinstall the os that way, I spoke to a local it shop today about it and that's what they suggested will give that ago and see what happens,
Thanks for the advice Wes.
Your knowledge is very good but think I need to get someone in person to have a look at it if I can't reinstall the os myself.
Expert:  Wes replied 1 month ago.

Indeed. I can't reload an OS remotely.

Wes, Consultant
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.