Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have been harassed by a BT IP number, how can I get the

Customer Question

Hello, I have been harassed by a BT IP number, how can I get the correct location of this IP? websites seem to be coming back with different locations
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chloe, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Can you please describe to me how you were harassed with an IP number?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They signed me up on a website for weight loss surgery, I have got the IP from the company and it is 86.133.218.104 a bt ip, I need a precise location or name, how can I get that?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

How did you get that IP? Did they send you an email and you traced the IP of the email?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the company provided me with it, from the form they filled in
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

How did you get that form? They sent you an email?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they emailed me thinking it was a genuine request and I asked for it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it to be the same person who has harassed me before and would like to prove it at least came from their location to take it to the police
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Is the IP changing each time? I can show you how to trace the location based on the IP address. However, the IP address could be pointing to 2 locations

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only have that one IP address to go off, could you trace it for me and send me the result?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check the email they sent you with the IP, and then directly show you the tracing process, while you watch on your screen?

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid that wouldn't work as the email was sent to my work address, I have sent you the IP address tho
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do you trace an IP with accuracy? I kept getting different results
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

As long as the IP is not changing, it will only point to 1 or 2 locations, depending on the geolocator the search engine is using. Give me a moment, I will do it for you, and send you the result as a screen shot

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for patiently waiting.

Here are the steps to trace the location based on an IP address:

1. Using your web browser, go to the URL http://whatismyip.com
  2. There on that page, you will see your OWN IP address and your ISP or Internet Service Provider
  3. Click on the IP Lookup button at the top of the page
  4. In the IP box, type or enter the IP address you are tracing, in your case, 86.133.218.104
  5. Then click the LOOKUP button
  6. In this IP, 2 locations are shown and they are shown in the attached picture or screen shot:

http://filesxpress.com/d-90d4034e

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess