Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I'm trying to boot my computer from USB drive by going

Customer Question

Hi I'm trying to boot my computer from USB drive by going through bios, also the secure boot option is not available and not showing under the boot tab . It is a P8H61-mx bios version 0403 can anyone guide me through.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

Start the computer and keep tapping F8 until you get to the boot order and choose USB

What happens when you do this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Done this already and it's still not working, I need the option to disable secure boot and it's not availble
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

No its not needed for USB and not there, what exactly is it you put on the USB drive?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm using kon boot
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

you trying to reset the password ***** windows? Which version?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this something you can help with please?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

yes, please reply to my last question..

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

will you be replying on my question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Windows 10
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry the message only just came up not sure the reason for the delay
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, you have an ISO file you copied to the USB?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I bought the file but yes I do
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, you need to make the file bootable on USB

To do this, download and install Rufus (free) from here

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Make sure you select Fat32

Select the ISO file and let it format and put the ISO onto the USB.

It will need to format it first

Let this complete and then boot from the USB and it should now work

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't understand I can't bypass the windows password ***** how can I do this sorry if I'm just not understanding
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

you need to do this on a working computer, to make a bootable USB, then you can use the USB on the problem computer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Windows 10 please
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Please read my last message...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I am going to try what you said and report back to you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I done what you said and it read warning all data on device konboot will be destroyed
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

yes, as I explained, it will format the drive removing all data, this has to be done when you make a Boot USB drive

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But I will lose all the data and I can't get it back, I paid for the data
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

you need to make a boot drive of the file you paid for and downloaded

else you need to made a bootable DVD

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry if I'm being stupid how do I make a boot drive of it?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

I am giving you the instructions on how to do this..... it is what we are doing now..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This file is coming up when I try to use Kon boot sorry does it help to explain with pictures what I'm trying to do am I'm dumb ��
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Plus this is the screen I have using the Rufus is everything ticked right as I don't want to lose all data please
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok.... but have no idea what you are doing, only that you're not doing the instructions I have been giving you

I have requested an update to this question, you will need to accept it else I stop working with you now, as we have only been stuck on the instructions I gave you a long time ago but it seems you do not do these and we are not getting anywhere

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

you say you do not want to, I explained also this before. We have gone over all of this

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I only wanted your help and already paid 28£ I feel paying a further 33£ is to much money when I have inc the pictures and only would like you to say yes you have all the correct buttons ticked or no tick select this button to make it work correctly. Is this programme correct from the second picture I have attached. My aim is to bypass the windows password ***** I can put a new password *****
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry if you feel I'm being rude I'm defiantly not, when I clicked the service I did tick I want in depth advice
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

yes, and I have explained exactly how you set up the file, Step by Step, Detailed.

You replied

But I tell you you have to to make a USB drive bootable...

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

I made the additional request as I do not see the advantage of use repeating this many times, you have to do the instructions I gave you id you want computer to boot from USB... it does not help for you to reply "you do not want to"

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I said I do not want to lose my data not that I do not want to follow instructions sir. I think it's going wrong as when I select ISO image there is non available on the USB stick. I'm trying to be polite I can tell your getting angry at me
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

I am not getting Angry, it is just a pity we keep repeating the same thing.

You have to lose the data on the USB drive, as it needs to format it to make it a bootable drive.

What else would you want me to say on this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand I will lose everything on the USB stick I need to create a back up of the files first that is what I can not do because I do not know how
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

You copy the files to a computer, just the same as when you copied them to the USB stick

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I copied the files done the thing on rufus, run the USB disc after changing the boot priority through the bios system and the same screen appeared so it's still not working
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

It is now running, you can see it and it is loading

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's the same screen picture I sent you before I followed the instructions you told me to, it's just the same message so I didn't take another picture
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

I do not really understand your last message... but you see it is now loading.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It already loaded that wasn't my problem in the first place. My problem was it got To that screen and stopped so when I enter the problem in google Asking what to do it said disable secure boot. However on the bios screen under the boot tab there is no secure boot option.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm trying to find how to disable the secure boot so the computer won't treat the file on my USB stick like a virus and not allow it to fully work
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

you cannot as we discussed but this is not the issue here.

Do you see an email address above the password ***** in windows ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no just windows user name can I not do it because of the version of the motherboard/bios?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

correct

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
in the picture I sent it is still reading ''dummy bios detected, trying to fix SMAP entries'', reading original sector so is there no way to get passed his screen still. The usb stick was running to this screen each time
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

That is because it cannot talk to your Bios, if it is booting from the USB stick then this is the cause for the error.

You can try to put the hard disk in another computer and run it via that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
its only that one computer that I can not bypass the windows password ***** all other computers are ok. So I see now my problem can not be resolved.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

put the hard disk in another computer and run it via that to get it done.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry I would like to run the usb stick on the computer that I can not get into via the windows 10 password ***** I can bypass the unknown password. I know the password ***** the other computer so I don't need to run it somewhere else.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

yes but on this you cannot, ths is why you need to

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please can I ask a 2nd expert for a 2nd opinion as I don't feel my question is answered or it maybe my lack of understanding. Thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

actually your question was how to make it boot which it is now doing, your next question is about secure boot, and as you see it does not have the option to disable hence why you put the hard drive in another computer and do it via this. Can you tell me what part of this you do not understand?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my question was how to get that computer to boot from that usb stick, you say it cant be done and please I would like a second opinion. It was getting to the screen I was showing you via the file anyway with your instructions nothing has changed. How will putting the usb stick in another computer allow me to access the problem computer?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

It is booting from the USB stick else you would not get the screen to show...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok but it was getting to that screen in the first place, I did put the picture to show you before you gave me any instructions. I did ask if anyone can guide me through so I can run the file to that specific computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

you put the hard drive in another computer and do it via this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok please bear with me, you mean I take the hard drive out of that computer, then put it in another computer and use my usb stick on the 2nd computer? will that me access to everything as if I have logged in using the problem computer all my old internet bookmarks and files?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

yes, as if it worked on another computer you use the hard drive on that computer with this USB stick

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will this still require the windows password ***** see the files / internet history / bookmarks etc?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

no, it will bypass it