Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a problem with my acer laptop...purchased december

Customer Question

I have a problem with my acer laptop...purchased december 2012. I am unable to use email or internet although bt homehub is working well for everyone else in the house. The message received when I attempt to open a web page or email is 'not responding'.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Hi there and welcome

To check, you are using internet explorer correct? To access the emails?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Internet explorer and windows live mail
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then check how it is now functioning

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Same situation as before...internet explorer (not responding) and windows live mail (not responding)
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

when did the problem start?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
That's right***********if you in UKProblem started 3 days ago...initially just taking time to make the contacted web site
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

can you click start, type in system restore and press enter

Follow the onscreen steps and perform a restore from a restore date before this problem occurred

Let it complete and tell me how it now works please.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
clanging message saying 'the disk ACER (C) has errors' followed by an annoying sequence when I click 'check the disk for errors' then 'schedule disk check next time you start' then back to the restore option
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

ok, but what are you now doing? As we checked the disk for errors before.

I am asking you to do a system restore

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I am trying so to do, but the message nonetheless appeared as I have stated. I have gone back to repeat and this time I have gone to an earlier restore point. Currently scanning for affected programs and drivers, which is taking quite a long time
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
it has now reached the end, so following 'next' under the 'ready to restore' status...we again come the clanging message 'the disk Acer (C) has errors' etc
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Do you have data you need to keep on the computer?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Probably just the list of email addresses and emails sent/received...but I could survive since most of this stuff is also held in BT Yahoo mail.
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

ok, we will do a reinstall of windows as there is serious corruption on the hard drive and it is not repairable.

To do this, power off the Acer.

Then hold ALT and with it held down, power on the Acer and keep tapping F11 until you get to the recovery manager

Then follow the onscreen steps to perform a factory restore.

Once done, setup windows again and tell me how it then functions.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Initially it came up with 'windows error recovery' and options safe mode, ditto with networking, ditto with command prompt and start windows normally. Continued pressing of F11 didn't give me any further options. Before I contacted you I was about to try the 'reinstall' options under acer on the list of programs. Would that achieve the same as you are now suggesting?
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

yes, it does the same thing, it is the factory restore.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I'll go for that shall I? Under Acer recovery management I've got options of restore to factory default, restore op system and retain user data or reinstall default drivers or applications. Which do you suggest?
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

yes please, and choose Factory Default so it is running at 100%

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
ok..it's now rebootingRebooting completed, now 'setup will continue after restarting'
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** know how it goes please.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It all seems to have gone through successfully...now confirming settings, internet connection and password *****
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

thanks, ***** ***** know if the programs are now working.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK I am able to get web sites and pages again. Also my Windows live mail is working, though no contacts yet until I re-input them.
Expert:  Richard replied 17 days ago.

Ok, it was serious corruption so it took this reinstall to get it fixed.

Good it is all working again, If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

and please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit